Allowing a material and a Texture at the same time

Hey I’m curious if it’s possible to use a Surface Appearance or similar to put a texture on an object that would still allow the material to be available. Let’s say I want to use the Wood material of Roblox as the Mesh’s underlying part but have a texture like cloth wraps on the Mesh.
I guess you could think of it like layering the textures while allowing the Roblox default material to show through. Is this possible and if so, how?

2 Likes

It should be if the texture is transparent or semi transparent. If it isn’t, use a decal as those can be easily layered.

1 Like

Unfortunately Textures objects and Decal objects aren’t good substitutes for Texture wraps. Infact, a MeshPart does not behave nicely with Decals or Textures. This is because they only go on a single face of the MeshPart. I suppose if I was willing to be very, very patient and go back and forth between the image editor, reimporting it, and testing it on each of the 6 faces of a MeshPart, I could make it work. But in the long run, it’s not feasible.

Makes sense. When I said texture I meant the surface appearance (sorry for the confusion). It still should be possible though. As long as the image you put into the surface appearance is transparent or semi-transparent, this should work. If it doesn’t work change the overlay mode.

1 Like

I appreciate your response. Hypothetically that should work. You would think.
However, it applies none of the material to the exposed part. It only applies the BrickColor/Color property.

I’ve tried this with PNGs and with BMPs that have Alpha Channels on them.

In the shown example, the brown on the part is transparent on the Texture. I am applying a Brick material to it, but the Brick material does not show.

My best guess? I need to find the RoughnessMap for the materials, upload them, and apply them manually.

Okay I figured it out.

You can right click any part or object in Roblox and choose “Export Selection”

This will export the object as a mesh with all the colormap, normalmap and any roughness or specularmap. Then you can apply those images over your texture or the color when uploading.

1 Like

And that doesn’t use a surface appearance? I always thought it just put the image in the texture slot. And it allows for sudo texture layering? That is pretty useful.