Allowing duplicate group names

Hello!

As a roblox content creator, developer, group maker, and entrepreneur it currently is becoming extremely hard to make professional, accurate, and nice looking group names. Roblox having millions of players and thousands upon thousands of groups its becoming extremely difficult to make roleplay groups, lore based / canon based groups, and so much more. I ran across a problem recently, I wanted to make divisions for my group, roblox removed invisible characters recently, therefor I couldn’t make these divisions without adding some strange fonts or very ugly tags to it. This makes us look extremely unprofessional and rather immature looking.

Currently the Roblox search bar for groups is extremely broken as well, I see no reason as to how this would influence or change that by any means. Here are some examples of what I mean…

This is not only a problem within itself, but it shouldn’t be used as an excuse to remove our accessibility to multiple group names. As I stated, with hundreds of thousands of groups you can assume anything that almost anything based off a television show, a game, a movie, etc… will be taken.

Heres an example of what I mean,

I own a starwars group, the Eternal Empire. Its not extremely popular as its not in any movies. To make my group I’d need to flood it with tags or wacky characters. Example: [E.E] The Eternal Empire

Heres a picture of the search results on google of Eternal Empires, you can just get a basic idea of what I mean about these tags.

In my opinion none of these look group and professional, why would somebody want to join a weird character, strange tagged group over a 1,000 member proper looking group? Its limiting our abilities to be creators!

Now don’t get me wrong, I completely understand what roblox is doing. They want developers to make something new and exciting, perhaps there own game studio! That’s wonderful, but why can’t we make groups of our own, create our own creations, and put it in to a roblox game based off something else?

Solution

Now… I’m not an advanced web developer who works for a million (if not billion) dollar corporation, I have no clue how simple or difficult it will be to make this change, but here it is anyways. Allow us users to have group names that are already taken.

10 Likes

You completely ignore the issue of group impersonation in your post.

What’s stopping someone from making a group with your group’s name and completely overshadowing it with botted members, stealing joins intended for your group, and making malicious group shouts and misleading people?

This is a bad idea. It allows anyone to make a fake botted group that looks official for a front page game, and is plastered with Free Robux scams.

11 Likes

So to prevent botting you don’t allow duplicate group names?

I don’t disagree with that statement, however you have that little “owned by” tab.

And to top it all off special/invisible characters were around for nearly/all of roblox’s group life span… I have yet to truthfully see the “botting to impersonate a popular game and scam kids” technique done before. That could be me just being blind however.

6 Likes

Creator A works hard for two years to build a solid brand.

Creator B makes a group with the exact same name and when people look up creator A’s brand they join creator B’s group.

All this would do is open up the door for impersonators and scammers. As dev groups grow into real businesses racking in millions of dollars I could see a lot of copyright lawsuits starting over this.

10 Likes

My point still remains, has this ever happened with invisible characters? Your entire point is based on botting groups… I don’t see why we work and look for solutions on botting groups.

Creator A has thousands if of users in it as well as group games, etc…
Creator B has nobody in it with no games, etc…

Any group you search up now that has a popular “aspect” to it, you will almost always find another group that’s like it. I don’t consider having two roleplay groups of the same game/movie to be a “impersonator”

4 Likes

And to top it all off special/invisible characters were around for nearly/all of roblox’s group life span… I have yet to truthfully see the “botting to impersonate a popular game and scam kids” technique done before. That could be me just being blind however.

I haven’t seen any particularly notable instances of this, although a search for a popular game will often come up with some false ones.

I do agree with the issue, though. The search and group features are not that great right now and could use a lot of improvement.

1 Like

I don’t think we need duplicate group names… however I do agree the group search is not effective

4 Likes

Group search is a problem, but the other idea should totally be scrapped so abusable.

3 Likes