AllowThirdPartySales

This is a new property that has been added to workspace. This is a feature that is intended to be used for end-user protection.

Most games do not need to sell third-party assets – assets that were not created by either Roblox or the game creator. However, places that are trade hangouts and certain group/clan places do sell such assets.

Setting “AllowThirdPartySales” to true will enable the sale of these assets. The default value is false, thus this is an opt-out feature.

This property will be displayed in RobloxStudio after this release, however there will be some amount of time before the feature is actually enabled.

15 Likes

“The default value is false, thus this is an opt-out feature.”

It’s off by default

2 Likes

Not really sure why you would do this. With Filtering there’s no way to ask others to buy items.

3 Likes

Perhaps, but this also protects against non-FE games. Users should not be punished for visiting non-FE games. After all, they had no way of knowing that game wasn’t FE even while playing it.

Also, plenty of people use other’s codes for things like Admin Commands which may prompt unwanted purchases.

I welcome this change wholeheartedly.

6 Likes

Roblox shouldn’t make a feature just to prevent giving credit to someone else`s content (admin commands).

1 Like

Credit is easily done through the use of a GUI saying “Made by ScriptOn”. On the other hand, these creators could sneak in more malicious sounding purchases like “Invincibility”. Users may be confused on who to report in these cases when purchases fail to give features. They may end up reporting the game creator instead of whoever made the pass they bought.

1 Like

I dunno. I still think it’s kind of silly to add features just because somebody doesn’t know how to use scripts. Do you really think someone who doesn’t know how to open a script will know what this feature does?

Changing a property of Workspace is far easier than changing a line in a script that is several thousand lines long. You or I know exactly what to look for, but many users may not.

But yes, I agree. I don’t expect majority of people to ever touch this. The nice thing is that it is off by default.

1 Like

Does this mean Insert Wars games will be back?

The name of the property is “AllowThirdPartySales”, thus a value of False means “do not allow third party sales”.

It also helps protect filtering enabled games in the event of any dev-console or similar unprivledged lua execution exploits on the game server.

2 Likes

He was replying to my post asking if it was false by default; which I overlooked on the original post.

So indeed, admin donation stuff is gone… along with (for example) Mad Voice’s gamepasses etc.
(Well, the creator should add their own iirc, but you get the idea)

On the other hand: If we still allow thirdparty sales, do we still get the 10% commission?
(I remember getting 10% commission for someone else’s gamepass that got sold in a place of mine)

1 Like

Is the AllowThirdPartySales able to be queried? If so, you could just disable your admin commands unless they enable AllowThirdPartySales.

How does this actually protect FE games? All you’re doing is preventing them from selling their items in-game. If they have a higher lua execution privilege than they’re supposed to have, they can do lots more than advertise their items in your game such as kicking the entire server, resetting peoples’ stats and items, mess with other datastore values, etc. I don’t see why preventing people from advertising their own items in places they exploit was such an issue that it needed to be randomly patched, especially when these exploits happen once in a blue moon if at all.

1 Like

All the change does is either allow or disallow third-party (non-you, non-roblox) asset sales in your place. You will get the normal commission on any successful sale. This feature is not intended to adversely affect the honest developer.

If you want admin donations, you likely want to allow third party asset sales in your places that have this feature.

Realistically/Statistically, FE games will not need need this feature. However, FE isn’t universally adopted, even among top games. My point was only to show why a developer of a FE place might use this feature. (or ignore it, it is optional)

I welcome any suggestions. The original thread on this topic did not get much attention.

It was more the case of “I got an adminscript”
Also, it would be annoying to have to enable ThirdPartySales for one thing.

1 Like

Sure, you have time to update all of your places. If there are issues with sales at this moment I very much want to know as it may mean a rollback of the last release.

The 3rd-party script donation was not part of the original thread. I’ll look into this and see if there is a good solution to this.

Just to clarify so I understand the problem before giving suggestions, why exactly is this a problem in the first place? You say it’s not really needed in FE games, but the non-FE games are no different from FE games in this regard because either way you need exploits to advertise your products in someone else’s game. Is there some hidden issue I’m not seeing?

Several solutions, that can be mixed:

• Have a list on the Configure page of the game, that allows the creator to whitelist assets
  • Have a method that allows us to whitelist assets/dev products, like:
    Function void MarketplaceService:AllowThirdPartySale(int assetId, InfoType infoType = Asset)
    (Although dev products from other games can’t be used, so maybe without the last parameter)
  • Have trustworthy people flag some assets automaticly whitelisted, like (legit) admin donations
    (Might be farfetched and practically impossible, but it’s just an idea)
1 Like

My radio model allows players to take a copy of the model in any game that has the radio if they like it. It’s free and non-intrusive. Will this affect the free taking of models using PromptPurchase?

I can see several people who are maintaining current admin commands just spamming people with notifications to enable this feature. I know some leave a pretty noticeable notification of httpservice isn’t enabled.

Also, a lot of these third party scripts depend on in game sales. This would damage their ability to get known, and about of their profits for legitimate purposes

2 Likes