Alphanumeric License Plate Generator not Working properly

Hello devs, thanks for reading my post!
So I just need some help or an explanation why my alphanumeric plate generator won’t work. It’s organized so that the TextLabel I want to randomize is a sibling of the script.
My Code:

local PlateText = script.Parent.Plate.Text
local Letters = {"A", "B", "C", "D", "E", "F", "G", "H", "I", "J", "K", "L", "M", "N", "O", "P","Q", "R","S","T","U", "V","W", "X", "Y", "Z"}
-- Generate an alphanumeric plate
local Section1 = math.random(100, 999)-- Handle the numbers

local function Generate3Letters()
	local Count = 0
	local Result = ""
	repeat
		wait()
		Result = Result .. Letters[math.random(1, #Letters)]
	until Count == 3
	return Result
end

local Section2 = Generate3Letters()
local FullPlate = tostring(Section1) .. "   " .. Section2
PlateText = FullPlate
script:Destroy()

But the script results in just blank text.
If anyone could help me, it would be appreciated!

You are setting PlateText to the generated string, PlateText is just a variable with the original text of the license plate, instead you should do script.Parent.Plate.Text = FullPlate

Your script should be:

math.randomseed(os.clock())

local PlateText = script.Parent.Plate -- by adding ".Text", you're assigning the variable the value of the property
local Letters = {"A", "B", "C", "D", "E", "F", "G", "H", "I", "J", "K", "L", "M", "N", "O", "P","Q", "R","S","T","U", "V","W", "X", "Y", "Z"}
-- Generate an alphanumeric plate
local Section1 = math.random(100, 999)-- Handle the numbers

local function Generate3Letters()
	local Result = ""

for _ = 1, 3 do
		Result ..= Letters[math.random(1, #Letters)]
        -- use the "..=" compound operator (it's the same thing but less writing)
        wait()
	end

return Result
end

local Section2 = Generate3Letters()
local FullPlate = tostring(Section1) .. "   " .. Section2
PlateText.Text = FullPlate -- assign the text the value
script:Destroy()
2 Likes

What’s this for? I don’t see the purpose of that.
EDIT: It worked! Thanks!

It generates a random seed (helpful for true randomness) because math.random can repeat numbers multiple times.

The os.clock portion gets the amount of seconds since the Unix Epoch so it’s random every time the script runs.

Because math.random() is not truly random (it uses a procedure called pseudo-randomization), math.randomseed(seed) sets seed to the random “seed”, which helps with the randomization of numbers.