Am I allowed to recreate safe chat?

Yeah in which case it’s redundant. I’m probably not gonna do it the more I think about it, but it would still be cool

What do you mean by recreate safe chat?

I believe it is against the roblox rules to not have their safe chat system in your game, as would obviously lead to safety risks and children reading uncensored content.

In terms of when people have their chat off, I would think it best to respect their decision but dialogue NPC is obviously not an issue.

Not saying there are any issues with custom chat, as that is perfectly fine so long as it doesn’t bypass safe chat system.

1 Like

Only old school cool kids would understand.

It was essentially a dialog with preset texts users could use who couldn’t free chat. It was really cool. Roblox removed it a loooong time ago

9 Likes

Ah ROBLOX Player since 2013 never ran into this. It’s like what Club Penguin did I presume. In all honesty I see no issue with it so long as you’ve made sure all the sentences are safe chatted if that makes sense.

1 Like

Super Nostalgia Zone has a 1:1 copy of it. I don’t see why it won’t be allowed.

<(0_0<) <(0_0)> (>0_0)> kirby dance

6 Likes

I don’t think he’s referring to the message filtering… but to this instead;

@OP Considering Roblox has a native Dialog System, that I assume works regardless of privacy settings… It should be fine to have a limited amount of preset text choices in cases where it’s absolutely necessary?

2 Likes

Aware of what he’s referring to now, as I have said in a later post should be fine if the messages are safe chat appropriate.

Oh yeah, that exact reddit thread is what inspired me to ask this >:)

I’m wondering if I could have something like it on all the time. Since this is a social game, I think it would make the experience better for everyone.

Clonetrooper’s Super Nostalgia Zone has Safe Chat recreated. I don’t see any problems in re-creating it.
As for if a player has their chat turned off, you can use CanUserChatAsync to check if a player’s privacy settings allows them to chat or not then work from there.

Completely agree.

So long as these set messages are appropriate and wouldn’t be tagged by ROBLOX safe chat, and more importantly the messages were done on the server side so couldn’t be messed with should be fine.

1 Like

ALL OF YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO ME!

I’m sure as XAXA said it should be fine, but it might require a different approach in cases where the player is under 13…?

Does CloneTrooper’s still work if the player’s chat is off?

1 Like

Under the Features that Don’t Need to Check Privacy Settings section of the Chat Privacy Settings page of the DevHub, Emotes don’t have to respect this setting. I’m leaning towards this being allowed.

1 Like

If your privacy setting’s prevent you from chatting. Clonetrooper’s does not work. The Gui still appears, but the chats do not send.
Just for clarification: I have tested it with an alt in-game. With it’s privacy settings set appropriately.

1 Like

Oh boy the emotes are basically exactly what I’m doing with this. Maybe it is allowed…

Cool. Maybe I’ll leave it out then

Interesting. I wonder if it was just a programming shortcut or if it was a conscious decision. I leaning towards the former, otherwise that menu wouldn’t have been visible in the first place.

EDIT: There’s also this excerpt from the page:

In general any case where a user can express a custom message intended for communication should respect privacy settings. Labels (such as pet names, store names) or pre-fab message buttons (a thank you emote) do not need to be checked for privacy.

Safechat doesn’t really allow for custom messaging, so I’m fairly certain it would be allowed.

Chat combinations should also be considered, as people have abused the old safe chat menu and did stuff with “I like…” and “Juice!” in a suggestive manner …Eeeyeah.

Good point. It’s definitely doable but would require Intended_Pun to put thought into it, particularly in regards to innuendo.

I’d see no problem with this. I wouldn’t know why there would be any reason too not have a safe chat around.