AmbientReverb in specific areas?

1. What do you want to achieve? Keep it simple and clear!
    Im currently trying to find a way so when you are inside of an area it will have a different reverb rather than being outside.
  2. What is the issue? Include screenshots / videos if possible!
    I realized that using a touched event when CanCollide = false is not possible and trying to make sound areas is what im trying to maybe go for.
  3. What solutions have you tried so far? Did you look for solutions on the Developer Hub?
    Ive tried looking this up and I found nothing. So im guessing im the first person to stumble upon this?

This is a local script:

local player = game.Players.LocalPlayer
local sounds = game.Workspace.SoundAmbience

for i,v in pairs(sounds:GetChildren()) do
	if v:IsA("Part") then
		v.Touched:Connect(function(hit)
			if hit.Parent:FindFirstChild("Humanoid") then
				game.SoundService.AmbientReverb = "Hallway"
			elseif not hit.Parent:FindFirstChild("Humanoid") then
				game.SoundService.AmbientReverb = "NoReverb"
			end
		end)
	end
end
6 Likes

Try using a Region3 and checking if the player is inside of it. .Touched events arent very reliable and consistent

2 Likes

Reverb Types are Enumerations, not string value. So instead of using 'Hallway" and "NoReverb", try using Enum.ReverbType.Hallway and Enum.ReverbType.NoReveb.

I’ve gone ahead and tried this but got no different result… or maybe I just did it wrong.

local region = game.Workspace.SoundAmbience:GetChildren()

while wait() do
	for i,v in pairs(region) do
		local partsinregion = workspace:FindPartsInRegion3(region, v, 3)
		for _, parts in pairs(partsinregion) do
			if parts.Parent:FindFirstChild("Humanoid") ~= nil then
				game.SoundService.AmbientReverb = Enum.ReverbType.Hallway
			else
				game.SoundService.AmbientReverb = Enum.ReverbType.NoReverb
			end
		end
	end
end
local Regions = {}
for _, Part in pairs(workspace:GetDescendants()) do
	if Part:IsA("Part") then
		if Part:FindFirstChild("EntryReverb") ~= nil then
			if not Part.EntryReverb:IsA("StringValue") then continue end
			if Part:FindFirstChild("LeaveReverb") == nil then
				table.insert(Regions, {Region3.new(Part.Position - (0.5 * Part.Size), Part.Position + (0.5 * Part.Size)), Part.EntryReverb.Value, game:GetService("SoundService").AmbientReverb})
			else
				table.insert(Regions, {Region3.new(Part.Position - (0.5 * Part.Size), Part.Position + (0.5 * Part.Size)), Part.EntryReverb.Value, Part.LeaveReverb.Value})
			end
			Part:Destroy()
		end
	end
end
local Player = game.Players.LocalPlayer
local Character = Player.Character or Player.CharacterAdded:Wait()
local InRegion = false
Player.CharacterAdded:Connect(function(Char)
	Character = Char
	InRegion = false
end)
game:GetService("RunService").RenderStepped:Connect(function()
	if not InRegion then
		if Character ~= nil then
			for _, RegionData in pairs(Regions) do
				local HumanoidRootPart = Character:FindFirstChild("HumanoidRootPart")
				if HumanoidRootPart ~= nil then
					local Parts = workspace:FindPartsInRegion3WithWhiteList(RegionData[1], {HumanoidRootPart}, 20)
					if #Parts > 0 then
						game:GetService("SoundService").AmbientReverb = RegionData[2]
						InRegion = true
						coroutine.wrap(function()
							repeat
								wait()
								InRegion = (#workspace:FindPartsInRegion3WithWhiteList(RegionData[1], {HumanoidRootPart}, 20) > 0)
							until
								not InRegion
							game:GetService("SoundService").AmbientReverb = RegionData[3]
						end)()
					end
				end
			end
		end
	end
end)
2 Likes

Woah! But uhh could you explain to me how this works? I didn’t expect someone to reply. Thank you!

ReverbTesting.rbxl (92.0 KB)

Looks through all the parts in workspace, checks to see if it has a string value named “EntryReverb”, then makes it into a region3 and puts it into a table with the string value and the string value of “LeaveReverb” if it exists, if leavereverb doesnt exist it just uses the current reverb

then loops through all the regions and checks if the localplayer’s humanoidrootpart is inside of the region and if it is, it changes the reverb to the entry value then waits until the player leaves and when the player leaves it sets the reverb to the LeaveReverb value

Edit:
Looks like I forgot to clear the Auditorium Free Model of its scripts…

5 Likes

Does it also works for musics/sounds playing in server and for multiple players?

Each player gets their own localscript so it will work with multiple players, and the audio effect setting affects every sound

Sorry, I didn’t explained it correctly (‘~`;)

What I meant was that I don’t think it would work for this example: a playlist playing in the server so that each player hears it at the same instance/time a song is playing, but depending on where they are they hear it with different tones/effects.

The audio effect will change every sound, maybe you can modify the script to change the reverb for specific sounds only