An adjusted fabric material

For years I’ve avoided using the stock fabric material Roblox gives us. It’s not a general purpose fabric texture in any way, instead looking more like a burlap material over something that would be used as carpet, for a tent, a wagon cover, or whatever other use a fabric material may otherwise have.

So I started messing around with it. I was originally looking for the different terrain materials, hint; they’re all in one sheet, to cover a hole up in a game of mine where I wanted to have the exterior visible from inside the cave, but the cave hidden from the exterior.

After several hours of work, in which I honestly could have much more easily created a new material from scratch in Substance Designer with a higher quality, I present to you…

Creaty's Fabulously Adjusted Fabric texture!

Here are some before and after images. Keep in mind that the comparison fabric is not fully accurate, as it is a dirty swap of diamond plate. Due to this, the stock fabric comparison also does not utilize the alpha map from the diffuse of the fabric, which is what gives it all of those little spots throughout the texture.

The adjusted fabric’s colors are generally more consistent and accurate, whilst still maintaining that old, weathered fabric feel the original aimed for. I have also removed the horizontal lines from the texture in favor of a more seamless feel.

Before and Afters

Default part grey. Left is new, right is stock.

The adjusted fabric matches closer to the colors that are properly selected within the engine, and thus will be more accurate to your vision for any use case!

Full black

Full white

Some additional color variations in a general use case

Additional color comparisons

New reflection map

I also adjusted the reflection map to be a bit more glossy, but more consistent, across the entire fabric texture.

…not all things are perfect, but still fun to see just how reflective the material is. The ability to adjust this using the reflectance would be really cool, and would allow us to make materials look like they’re wet much more easily.

I’m pretty happy with how it looks, but it could still be much better. I’m interested to see how this looks in any of your hands, so post below what you end up doing with it! :eyes:

WINDOWS INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Open up Roblox Studio

2. Right click the Studio icon on your taskbar.

3. Right click “RobloxStudio” and click “Properties”

4. Highlight the location property and press CTRL+C to copy it

5. Open up windows explorer and paste the location into the bar at the top of the window

6. Navigate to PlatformContent > pc > textures > fabric

7. Make a back up of your stock fabric textures. I put them in a folder called “backup”

8. Extract and copy the contents of “Creaty’s Fabulously Adjusted Fabric.7z” to this folder.

9. Make some dang fine places!

Download link: Creaty's Fabulously Adjusted Fabric.7z - Google Drive

30 Likes

Honestly! The default fabric looks like that tough stuff you’d find on a doormat, or something. It looks like something you’d find on a sack of rice. It definitely doesn’t represent any soft fabric.

I also really like how you fixed the color presets. A lot of Roblox’s textures have this problem, you can find it in everything from corroded metal (ew) to Roblox’s terrain textures. Rocks will always be slightly pink, salt always light, etc.

Fabric finally doesn’t have to be dark-colored anymore.

Roblox, if you are listening, please make this the default texture! It’s such an improvement.

Thank you for making this! It will really help us, I’m sure. :]

7 Likes

I like the way this looks a lot. It would be awesome if Roblox replaced this with the default one!

5 Likes

Since I am changing the files locally, like on my PC, will it show on all devices and for all players?

1 Like

This won’t replicate to any clients, servers, or devices. Which is unfortunate, but I’ll be making a SurfaceAppearance enabled version soon, and will be adding it here too. The texture formats are very different between what would be expected of standard tangent space normals vs. what Roblox uses.

3 Likes

Very nice :sunglasses::+1:

Fixes most color issues with it being absurdly dark PLUS a nice resource for some gfxs :thinking:

1 Like

I like how you’re the only one who did this , and i LOVE IT :heart_eyes:

Will you end up making more of these textures? These are awesome!

1 Like

from a short distance away it just looks like brick