An update on Future Is Bright

FIB’s progress looks super promising, but my only complaint is that the darks look way too dark, and the brights look too bright. I know bouncing raycasted lights aren’t a thing in Roblox though. I hope there’s better contrast control on later versions. Maybe adding linear lighting strength would be nice too.

If you want darker shadows, you should increase the brightness of the light source. We don’t really have a way to differentiate between “shadows” and “light” when you consider multiple light sources, so it needs to work as it does in the real world.

Can you explain what linear lighting strength means?

I got the definition from the Source engine wiki

Linear Attenuation

Linear attenuation|200x150

This is the same light entity, but at a 0:1:0 ratio, making its lighting 100% linear instead.

Mathematically, the decline of this type of light is linear, inversely proportial to the distance from the light source (I = 1/d where I is intensity and d is distance). This means that the light intensity (set by its brightness) will diminish (at a fixed rate) as it travels from its source. To compensate for this decline, Valve has boosted the intensity of the lightsource to 100 times its brightness.

In the real world a 100% linear lightsource would be practically impossible, as it would represent a real world soft light of infinite size, but in the virtual world, a 0:1:0 lightsource is believable for most entity based lightsources.