Anchor Parts as you Insert Them

As a Roblox developer, every time I insert a part, I’m having to set the anchored attribute to true. This can often slow down development and can prove to be quite frustrating if I work on something to then test it where to find that all my parts are unanchored and made a mess.

If inserted parts were anchored by default, it would make development a much more easy process and not create frustrating moments that I have come across so many times in the past.

Further to this, there could possibly be a setting in Studio to set it to anchor by default or not.
I might of missed something in Studio which allows you to do this but I haven’t seen this as of yet.

29 Likes

I once made a plugin that did this for me… it’s fairly easy to make.

2 Likes

Either that or tune the first Part you insert to Anchored, then Ctrl D (copy it).
I usually don’t Insert Parts, I just Ctrl D the closest Part that is the same colour/material as what I need.

1 Like

Yea I honestly have no idea why the default parts are even unanchored to begin with. I usually use my own building brick set, but sometimes I’ll insert a default Roblox part and forget to anchor then go to test and my world simply falls apart…literally.

5 Likes

Unanchored parts are rarely used in ROBLOX games.

We need this.

4 Likes

I can understand why it’s annoying to forget, but that isn’t exactly a good reason to change a part’s default property, especially when it’s so easy to set it.
It makes sense for parts to be unanchored when they’re inserted, for example, to simulate the connection between inlets and studs.

I don’t support this specific request. However, I do agree with facilitating the customization of how Studio behaves, which would really allow us to tailor the program to our development habits.

2 Likes

Assuming all the ways to insert parts in studio use the backend of whatever Instance.new uses (and the backend is changed for this), this could break many games that use Instance.new during runtime, and do not manually set their Anchored property to false (they assumed the default would remain false). These hypothetical games could rely on unanchored parts for bullets, falling objects, or many other things that we could not even begin to imagine the creativity of.

No support, unless I have missed something with my assumptions or if my fears are not based in reality.

3 Likes

OP wants this to only happen in Studio or for it to be customizable in Studio, so that his workflow is a few clicks shorter for inserting a new part. Some people may decide not to change the default settings in Studio, others may decide to set it so new parts are Anchored by default. It wouldn’t change behaviour in-game.

2 Likes

Perhaps we should have an option, allowed off by default, to automatically anchor parts.

2 Likes

Moved the unique posts to a newer version of this Feature Request, as I believe the opinions stated in that topic cover all of the opinions stated in this one (and more).

2 Likes