Android mobile chat breaks when resizing is enabled

Earlier today I began to receive reports from my players that their chat was unusable due to it going out of the screen boundaries. Originally I thought that this was due to my custom chat conflicting with a Roblox update, but upon further inspection in a default blank baseplate place this seems to be a Roblox update that itself is broken.

This bug currently only exists on Android, to my knowledge.

Example of the bug on my Android device (Samsung Galaxy Note 8):

Example of how the game should look, on my iOS device (iPhone 11 Pro Max):

Reproduction steps
In a default baseplate, play the game & copy the default chat scripts. Stop playing and paste these chat scripts into the chatservice. Inside the “ChatSettings” script you will find the ‘WindowResizable’ variable. Change this to true and the bug will begin to occur on Android devices. (Example place here)

Current known devices this bug occurs on (I will add more as I get more players to test if this bug occurs):

Samsung Galaxy Note 8
Samsung Galaxy S8
Samsung Galaxy S9+
Samsung Galaxy S10e
Samsung Galaxy Tab A
Huawei Y6

19 Likes

Omg, this happens so often. I have a Galaxy S8, btw.

8 Likes

Thanks, i’ll add it to the list of known devices.

2 Likes

Is this still a problem? I tested on my Sony Xperia XZ1, and when I initially joined the game the chat took up a third of the screen like your picture shows, but I was able to just simply scale it back to normal.

2 Likes

Yes, sadly this is still happening. I just updated the chat to the latest scripts & the problem persists on my Note 8.

3 Likes

Yea this has occurred in my game and I’ve experienced this problem on a Xiaomi phone which uses Android.

This really seems to be an Android only bug.

3 Likes

Yeah, so far i’m still only getting Android reports. Unfortunately i’m going to have to disable chat resizing for all platforms on my game as this has been going on for too long now.

1 Like

This is still happening and affecting my game.

After some investigation, I found out that the reason why this happens is because the loading screen initially is in Portrait Mode even though the game is only playable in Landscape Mode, and so the chat follows the default size when it’s in Portrait Mode. WindowResizable works fine if the player teleports to another place in the game since the loading screen does not become portrait mode.

3 Likes

I can also confirm that the problem seems to only occur when the phone is initially at portrait mode when starting up the game. If you start the game in landscape mode, it works just fine. Seeing as this issue hasn’t been resolved yet, I guess I’ll also set WindowResizable to False as well.

For those of you experiencing the same issue, ChatSettings is located right here. Change module.WindowResizable to False within the script in order to fix it.
chatsettings1

3 Likes

Also happening to me on my Galaxy S10e

2 Likes

Happens on my Samsung Galaxy Tab A Tablet

2 Likes

Yeah, as Aeralie said the issue hapens when the device is initially starts in portrait mode. There are two ways to fix that problem are to rejoin while holding your device on landscape mode, or if the Portrait mode is enabled in your game, go to Portrait mode and scale the chat window to the normal size. There, the problem with broken chat window is solved.

Therefore, there is no point in listing the devices that have that issue on this topic. :+1: Hope I helped. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have tried this, did not test it but it might solve it, probably disables resizable chat for phone and other devices with a touch screen (like some laptops). I am not checking for keyboard because some phones do have keyboard enabled even whilst not being connected to one.

1 Like

The bug is still happening and It’s annoying, I have a phone called Oppo A9 2020, Hopefully, this bug gets fixed because It’s taking too long to get fixed. (Note: this Is my first comment and I’m new to the Devforum.)

4 Likes

Just for proof that this still happens:

I initially started with portrait mode and Roblox sets it to landascape after the joining server message starts appearing. This is unconvenient to fix if you know how to (going to portrait mode and resizing it back) but it can be frustating for players who do not know how to fix this. This issue has been ongoing for a year.

Device: Samsung S20 FE (SM-G780G)

2 Likes

My device seems to be unaffected (Samsung Galaxy A51)

3 Likes

That’s… weird… (tried repro at an actual Samsung Galaxy A51 SM-A515F aswell, keep in mind phone is rooted, stock Android 11 One UI 3.1, security patch July 31 2021, MagiskSU v23, SafetyNet attestation fail as I have to update the Android anyways, custom recovery is OrangeFox, using a custom kernel called BlueFly which you can find at XDA)

1 Like

Oh, so this is why chat in my game is broken on random users’ devices. :slight_smile:

Not great that a built in option is broken in such an obscure way. This has been going on for months and I had no way to trace it.

3 Likes

Can confirm this happens on a Huawei Honor 9 Lite as well.

3GB RAM, 32GB storage

1 Like

It would be nice if somebody found a solution to this but this will be taking forever to fix and since it’s a roblox bug, that would be impossible to fix, hopefully, the people behind Roblox fixed this problem.

1 Like