Android pointer capture support

As a Roblox player, it is currently too hard to play the mobile version with a mouse and keyboard, the android native pointer by default is limited by the screen borders, which causes the mouse to stop moving in that direction and inputting to the app. As a result, games that require freely rotating the camera, such as first person shooters, have limited user experience. The video below shows this behavior:

Alternative video.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my user experience because it would offer faster and more accurate movements like on the PC version rather than only using touchscreen, specially when I can plug my phone into a bigger screen.

Note:
From this android developer webpage: https://developer.android.com/training/gestures/movement.html#pointer-capture

Some apps, such as games, remote desktop, and virtualization clients, greatly benefit from getting control over the mouse pointer. Pointer capture is a feature available in Android 8.0 (API level 26) and later that provides such control by delivering all mouse events to a focused view in your app.

6 Likes

Gonna bump this cause I agree. If ROBLOX’s goal is to provide a cross platform experience which doesn’t matter what type of input you are using, then they should take a look into their partner’s (Microsoft) biggest game (Minecraft), specifically Bedrock Edition. Despite differences between Windows based products and Android, Microsoft has made Minecraft: Bedrock Edition steamlessly transition between inputs regardless of platform. Whether it’s a mouse/keyboard, XBOX Game Controller, or touch controls, if your device supports it, Bedrock handles it. Why doesn’t ROBLOX do this? Especially considering it’s their whole narrative when it comes to not wanting to give developers any identification to what platform they’re on :thinking:

1 Like

Just for clarifcation, do you mean using mouse/keyboard peripherals connected to a mobile device? Is this an issue for players, or developers simulating mobile experiance in development?

1 Like

Yes, but not limited to, I believe it could affect chromebooks, android devices, which can include PCs, TV boxes, smartphones or tablets. These devices can be connected to mouse/keyboard peripherals and larger screens through HDMI/DisplayPort/VGA, provided you have the hardware or adapters, such as bluetooth or USB-C hubs if needed.

Mostly players.

2 Likes