Angle to rotate train tracks that keeps them on 1 stud grid

I am not much of a builder at all, but I am currently creating some train tracks. I would like to keep them on a 1 stud grid so that they line up with other tracks. What would be a good angle / set of angles for rotating the tracks? I can’t seem to find any.

edit: i am using archimedes 2 to rotate the track.

1 Like

Hello! Angles can be very iffy and I’d hardly consider myself an expert on them, but 22.5 and 45 degree angles are what I normally use in my projects, as they tend to be easy to use and snap very easily in the rotate and transform tools. Hope this helps!

Capture

edit: image above shows usage of those angles on 8x2 parts.

1 Like

I am also not very good with angles. When I use a 45 degree angle for the tracks (of course it wouldn’t be the actual angle, but just to try it out) it still doesn’t end on the 1 stud grid. If you look at the end of the track on the left, it is slightly off center.

Perhaps it is because it is being rotated from some point near the bottom of the segment?

1 Like

Ah I see what you mean. I’ve got two imperfect methods. For both you’ll want gapfill if you want to give them a shot.

Method 1

Step 1: Create your non-angled parts.

Step 2: Fill the space in between using gapfill.

Method 2

Step 1: Find a Pythagorean triple best matching the length and width of the space between the corners of the parts. For this example I’m using the triple (3,4,5) with 3 being the height, 4 being the width, and 5 being the target length of the final product.

Step 2: Create a wedge and add the part with the target length in front of it.

Step 3: Fill the in-between areas using gapfill.

There’s also a third method if you don’t mind the space in between being filled, and that’s just using an octagon made of a center square and 8 triangles matching a pythagorean triple so that they have even lengths on their hypotenuse.

1 Like

Not sure if this is the answer you’re looking for, but you can achieve this fairly easily by choosing a pivot, moving/rotating parts relative to that pivot and then connecting them with the ResizeAlign plugin. Just make sure the angle you choose is a divider of 90.

5 Likes

I disagree with your method, first of all, I do not like using gapfill. Gapfill uses best-guess algorithms to find a suitable position for a part, which can often be wonky on larger builds, by creating false sized meshes instead of perfectly cut parts. The second method however is much more reliable, but instead of gapfill, I would use the plugin, ResizeAlign to manage the empty spaces.

Good luck with your build! :wink:

4 Likes

I wasn’t aware that ResizeAlign worked that way. Definitely use this method over mine.

2 Likes

This method can be even easier with the help of SBS (Studio Build Suite). By using the Rotate Pivot tool, you can rotate a part along the circumference of another part quickly and efficiently. This creates essentially the same effect as rotating parts manually, but much much quicker.

2 Likes