Animated Particles with the Particle Flipbooks Beta

Unless the particle itself is going to be very big, then no. I used a 8x8 explosion spritesheet, and it worked out great for my usecases!

5 Likes

This seems like a great opportunity to ask for higher resolution images, to allow for higher resolution flipbooks as well as other textures :smile:

19 Likes

I was very excited about this feature (and even tested it some in the closed testing period), but the limitations are kind of leaving me disappointed.

Memory has always been an issue developers have to keep an eye on to get their games running well on all platforms, and being restricted to the largest possible image size for particles means that any and all animated emitters will be memory hogs compared to standard ones. This unfortunately went from one of my most anticipated features to a bit of a letdown, as I know I won’t be able to use them as freely this way.

I appreciate the thought behind getting the feature to us earlier, but I hope the restrictions aren’t permanent. Full control over grid size & being able to use other image sizes are important.

32 Likes

Pretty offput by the image dimensions being required to be as large as possible. I work to keep my texture memory impact as low as possible, so I wont be using this in a serious game until that’s different. I would be happy with very low frame rate simple animations, 4 frames tops.

The design decisions / implementation here feels rushed, granted this is only a beta. I really think this would be better arriving later rather than sooner to make sure API additions are future proof. It won’t be fun for Roblox to support this particular API forever if it happens to stick around. Please don’t rush particle emitter improvements, particle emitter shapes don’t even support attachments, and I fear things might slip here too and get stuck forever.

Other than that, this is awesome. Hoping to see more improvements soon.

26 Likes

Been looking forward to this for a while! Glad it’s finally here.

A year ago on THIS EXACT DAY, Envmaps were released, which is indoor reflections. Really glad to see this platform advance!

5 Likes

Just FYI, I don’t think anyone requested this feature. The closest feature request I could find is my own:
https://devforum.roblox.com/t/imagerectoffset-and-imagerectsize-for-particleemittertexture/35029

By the way, my request is solved with this since I can set the frame rate to 0 and use the random property to achieve the above. Thanks for that!

However, given that you had to make the API so bespoke and particular to deal with all of the limitations, and the fact that all these limitations are imposed on us, I don’t really understand why it couldn’t have waited for a more generic release. I really don’t like the inflexibility on the number of frames and the image size. I think there was time (given limited number of feature requests for this) to work a bit more on this before releasing it.

Also, none of these new APIs are non-scriptable it seems, so you have to support these forever since code might be invoking them.

I think a better way to release this feature would have been to wait until arbitrary image and flipbook sizes could be supported, so that the API didn’t have to be as bespoke and particular as it is currently. The rest of the limitations you point out are all supplementary and don’t affect the direct API.

Regardless, thanks for putting work into this! This is a good step forward for particles.

25 Likes

Have been waiting for this for a long time now. W update

30 Likes

This update is great, I hope this is the beginning of more spritesheet support on many other features. A single image is way more efficient than multiple, and things like spritesheet textures for meshes/decals would allow for a whole new world of animated effects and textures.

Also one thing, this could already be accomplished with billboards and image labels, and those are still way more customizable. Will particles eventually be a better option?

5 Likes

Looks pretty good! Is there any chance of getting simple physics into the particles?

10 Likes

https://streamable.com/uazm5t

↑ A small effect that use flipbooks ↑

Insane Update btw!!!

↓ Open souce ↓

123.rbxm (6.2 KB)

32 Likes

Amazing, thank you for sharing!

6 Likes

YEEES!!! I HAVE WANTED THIS FOR SOOO LONG. I APPLAUD YOU SO MUCH!!
:+1:

I’m gonna make so much heavy use of this.

4 Likes

And now I wait for some sort of free particle pack so I can mess with these.

Love the feature, great job!

2 Likes

Very excited to use this, lots of possibilities!

I am curious about performance though, are these particularly intensive @JaapSuter? If so in what ways? I want to figure out how sparingly/heavily I can use these.

As others have pointed out the requirement of being 1024x1024 can impact memory, though that is not too much of a concern for me as I am looking to use the same few textures on many particle emitters, rather than many unique textures.

7 Likes

:cold_face:
Jokes aside, this new feature can add more nice effects for things like weapons or character equipment.
Pretty good so far!

34 Likes

YES! I’ve been anticipating an update like this! It’s about time!

3 Likes

This is just amazing. Just what i needed.

2 Likes

Wow, this is such a great update, can’t wait for it to be out completely! This will add quite a bit more flair to our particle effects, and I look forward to playing around with it in studio!

2 Likes

Hello, are particles planned to ever be removed? I see this as a replacement for them, and I’ll be quite sad if particles are removed in the future because I mainly use them for VFX.

2 Likes

Mijn goedheid, the timing is so convenient on this.
I was about to look or make a feature request for this.

Thank you. :pray:
Literal perfect timing as if Roblox just read my mind and decided to instantly respond.

2 Likes