Animated Particles with the Particle Flipbooks Beta

Very excited to use this, lots of possibilities!

I am curious about performance though, are these particularly intensive @JaapSuter? If so in what ways? I want to figure out how sparingly/heavily I can use these.

As others have pointed out the requirement of being 1024x1024 can impact memory, though that is not too much of a concern for me as I am looking to use the same few textures on many particle emitters, rather than many unique textures.

7 Likes

:cold_face:
Jokes aside, this new feature can add more nice effects for things like weapons or character equipment.
Pretty good so far!

34 Likes

YES! I’ve been anticipating an update like this! It’s about time!

3 Likes

This is just amazing. Just what i needed.

2 Likes

Wow, this is such a great update, can’t wait for it to be out completely! This will add quite a bit more flair to our particle effects, and I look forward to playing around with it in studio!

2 Likes

Hello, are particles planned to ever be removed? I see this as a replacement for them, and I’ll be quite sad if particles are removed in the future because I mainly use them for VFX.

2 Likes

Mijn goedheid, the timing is so convenient on this.
I was about to look or make a feature request for this.

Thank you. :pray:
Literal perfect timing as if Roblox just read my mind and decided to instantly respond.

2 Likes

Yes I’d love physics particles.

Unreal Engine and Unity have special modules/settings for this that you can enable.

When enabled they’ll treat particles like tiny spheres that can bounce or roll around, their collision and physics are pretty cheap and can easily simulate thousands of them at a time (they’re likely GPU simulated).

A additional module/setting can be enabled in both engines to receive position or hit information (similar to raycasts or collision events) which are just slightly more expensive but allow for things like quick and easy liquid physics or maybe you wanted animated raindrops that drip off surfaces and characters?

11 Likes

Speaking of this, would it ever be possible that we could get the option of particles being calculated by either the CPU or GPU (as a mode), of which would have their own advantages over each other?
Like, a property on the emitter that determines whether the particle is calculated with the CPU or GPU. That would be interesting to see ass the GPU has a lot of power. I’ve experienced this my self by making GPU (and CPU emitters ofc) emitters in UE4 and am able to have tens to hundreds of thousands of particles with minimal performance hits.

This is also something I wanna see, sooo badly.

7 Likes

Awesome feature, but it shows the heavy limits that 1024x1024 images impose. It would also be nice to eventually get support for smaller sizes as well.

4 Likes

This is going to be a major upgrade for particle creators.

2 Likes

The only thing I hate about particles is that they disappear if they are too big by moving your screen away a little from the particle and you can’t use the custom scaling feature if the particle size is larger than 10.

5 Likes

This is great! I saw this a little while back, but I didn’t really know what it was.

1 Like

Finally, we can bake lighting into particles for beautiful volumetric effects!

60 Likes

Time to get creative!

63 Likes

This is really cool and not having this was one of the major setbacks to the roblox particle system. I hope for more expanding to particles in the future.

Do we know if there will ever be a more dynamic way to detect flipbook layout? I think it’s kind of lame that currently they’re only limited to 4, 16 and 64 frames. I do spritesheets for particles on other engines and the majority of them let you tell the engine the dimensions of the frames so you can have it be as many frames as you want.

Once again I think this is super cool but I don’t like the limiting factor of only having 3 different flipbook layouts.

4 Likes

this is amazing! thank you so much, ive been wanting more particle options for a while

1 Like

Wow this is just… Wow. I can’t wait to see what cool things people will be creating.

1 Like

This feature is great, thank you!

55 Likes

Go to this website, and abuse it by entering a % over 100 to get it to 1024x1024.

2 Likes