Animated Particles with the Particle Flipbooks Beta

I don’t see why I wouldn’t be able to do that in any program used to create the effect anyways. The problem is loading times. If I want 50 effects in my game I’d need 50 1024x1024 images loaded in. That alone is around 100MB depending on the quality. That’s easy to hit in a large scale game.

2 Likes

Thank you, this is one of the best particle updates brought to Roblox Studio!

One thing I’ve noticed is the spritesheets cutting off on edges, is there a known way to fix this?

11 Likes

It’s a problem with the sprite sheet image itself, however something to automatically blur the edges of cut-off particles would be a very useful feature.

6 Likes

will this flipbook functionality be planned for other things regarding spritesheets in the future as well? UI animations specifically?

4 Likes

well it’s a beta! Directly quoting @Pyseph “but I understand that pushing this feature out as a beta, and adding more functionality later down the line, is of a higher priority.”

Lookin good already.

Also do we have any date of when this feature will be public?

33 Likes

please consider also adding particle shading through something like normal maps. That would top the update off

7 Likes

I would also love to have this feature on GUIs in the future. Rather than making tons of image labels to get the same effect.

1 Like

Nice. Support for beam and trail next?

1 Like

You can do this already with rect offsets and whatnot, although an official implementation would be useful as I assume it wouldn’t require scripting knowledge.

This new feature is very good. This will helps me so much while making games. Also, if an version for other image instances come out, It will be very very good update.

1 Like

It’s only in beta so… They’ll probably make it look nicer before fully publishing it

1 Like

can’t wait for this to be released, i saw some examples here and it have to do many things from realistic smoke and even particles to indicate shine

1 Like

Better yet, particles, beams and trails being visible in viewport frames.

5 Likes

Somehow I completely missed this until now.

Time to recycle textures from my abandoned Minecraft resource pack

18 Likes

This update is forever going to change all front-end based effects and I’m so excited to implement it in my games! Here’s something I quickly came up with in around 15 minutes when I got access to the beta.

26 Likes

I’m having the same issues. Kind of annoying tbh.

2 Likes

This will be the next step into making Roblox so much more realistic, a good update!

1 Like

I really like this update, though it is a bit annoying that there are ONLY preset sizes for the flipbook particles, for example: I found a site with mostly 7x7 spritesheets, but of course that wouldn’t work, 5x5 and 6x6 won’t work either because it instantly skips from 4x4 to 8x8.

3 Likes