Animated Particles with the Particle Flipbooks Beta

This has to come out of beta asap, a tank game I am working on will show this feature’s full beauty

It’s pretty hard to do that when there are heavy restrictions on what to do with flipbooks as of right now. Not to mention, this tool isn’t live yet, so in what ways are we supposed to use it that will encourage the staff to work on this more?

This feature has been sitting on the beta shelf for well over a year now and we still haven’t heard anything about it. What’s the status? What’s release date of when this feature will be live? Is this project abandoned? Communicate with us please!

6 Likes

This feature looks like it has a lot of potential! I feel like it is very limited as it is right now. Hopefully thats changed in the future. Also, I feel like there should be a feature where it cycles through it frames once. Or you get to make something happen on a certain frame. But overall, I hope to see this feature become a genuine thing! :slightly_smiling_face:

Also it would be a good idea to port this to things like gui’s, ect. There could be a lot of possibilities if we got the feature on those things too!

2 Likes

Please release this, It can improve the visuals of many of the moves in my game. But it still hasn’t been released, you already know people need this. So I recommend releasing it.

5 Likes

yeah im having bad issues with clipping too, litterally with all my textures too

2 Likes

Can we have an estimated time of release? The lack of this being released ingame is impacting a game I’m working on.

At least a few hundred people are using this and waiting for it to come out. I see flipbook particles everywhere on Twitter.

12 Likes

i have an issue that my drawing apps whenever the smaller the size of the picture is the drawing get more low quality is there a way to fix that.

I sure hope it is soon. Need this to be out as soon as possible.

1 Like

@JaapSuter
I think that this feature is a little rough, but ultimately does some useful stuff that devs don’t have easy access to, such as animating individual particles. Can we get an update on how the feature is doing or a timeline if any?

2 Likes

Hi there. Has this been disabled as of recently? I have the beta feature enabled but the Flipbook properties are not there.

1 Like

It’s out of beta, you can use it on Particle Emitter

Edit: Nevermind it’s not out of beta yet, you can see it on Particle Emitter

Could an option please be added to disable the blending between frames? The flipbook I’m using goes pretty fast and I’m sure it would look better without the cross fading.

2 Likes

This really looks great. Just need some improvements.

1. If you had a technology that would prevent the clipping on these flipbook glow effects.

1. Enhances the maximum quality up to 2048, which in turn would also flipbook layout.

My community has agreed with me in using this technology on our upcoming anime-inspired game, we’ll be continuing to take advantage of this, and while it may look bad until its release. It will be a great investment for us.

9 Likes

Did you make those sprite sheets by yourself?

The more this beta feature gets used, the greater the likelihood that we’ll promote it out of beta, and the bigger the chances that we’ll make gradual improvements to it

Update? It’s been months since this feature came out in beta, I’m sure it was used a zillion times, why is the rollout taking so long? Alot of my current sword-style VFX on multiple styles relies on flipbook slashes, I wanna publish them without gui workarounds…

5 Likes

I’m against the idea of roblox making us use the beta, to get it out of beta. It’s a system I am no fan of due to it’s potential cancellation it can have. I don’t wanna create flipbooks for hours just for it to become an abandoned/cancelled feature over the course of months.

The whole “we control beta” thing seems new to me as well, correct me if I’m wrong but is this the first time? This is absurd practice in my opinion both for engineers and developers.

6 Likes

Same, against it. It’s been like 5 months or something? This is insane :joy:

2 Likes

The development of this specific part of the engine is excessively slow.

• Particle Clipping is still a major problem.
  • RotSpeed affects the initial rotation of a ParticleEmitter, this is ridiculous behavior, and I have noted this for a while — it goes something like this: (RotSpeed * Lifetime) = StartingRotation

These are only a few examples — these have existed for a long time. Do you have practically no-one maintaining this specific segment of the engine? It’s really annoying to see 0 pro-active development for this important part of Roblox.

3 Likes

I’m really eager to use this system to represent fire in a new game my team and I are working on.
Is there any news at all to when Flipbooks will be able to be used in live games?

4 Likes

I’m having this problem still today, so far into the future, as of 8/23/2022.

People have talked about the problem being in the sprite sheet. With the images not being transparent at the edge…

This is very blatantly false - Here is an image of cannonballs aligned perfectly to fill up 256x256 chunks. When put in 4x4 mode, it doesn’t just clip - the entire outline is cut off at the edges, including some of the inner portion of the cannonball.
This dozens of pixels of dead space, not just slight clipping.
4x4 implies a 256 sized tile - But this implies Closer to a 200x200 safezone, which is unnecessary and weird. I didn’t count the exact pixel gap, but jeez. Look at it.

What on earth is the excuse for this?

Edit: This is apparently something that happens on regular particles too, which I didn’t know before.

That is literally just… outrageous. This isn’t your best, Roblox; this might be close to your worst.
I can’t believe we have to point out things like this, that prevent Roblox Studio from being anything even remotely professionally viable. Random inconveniences like this should have been sussed out ages ago, not actively getting complained about a year later.

9 Likes