Animated Particles with the Particle Flipbooks Beta

When is it going to be out of beta? I would really love to use it in games

It’s kinda ridiculous that this is STILL the way of its release when it has been 5 months of waiting.

Also, most of us are having problems with the particles suddenly clipping off their edges as well (including flipbook enabled.) This is a very annoying visual bug and we hope it gets resolved.

4 Likes

when dis stuff getting out of beta bro god damn

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure this would be less of an inconvenience if you up-scaled the image — that is a plausible work around in my eyes. It’s actually infuriating to have to continue to use these out-dated underdeveloped systems.

I’m not sure what you mean. Animated particles only work on 1024x1024 I’m pretty sure, and any higher would be a waste anyways for a particle.

I’m pretty sure even with my statement that this is affecting regular particles too, I doubt how much it is cut off is dependent on the resolution of the image. It just cuts off the edges. Probably not even worth testing.

Unless you mean something different by up-scaling than resolution, but you’d need to elaborate if so

Please give us an update on whats happening, thank you.

6 Likes

I agree we’re all waiting to use this feature in our games and no doubt it’s delaying a lot of games that uses flipbook particles

Hopefully this will be released soon even if it’s in a limited capacity , I’ve had some particles ready for months now

Waiting for an update on this feature for my upcoming game, we are currently delayed with testing with our testers and making videos on it. Below are some examples of the use of flipbooks

10 Likes

Almost 7 months later and what do we get?
No release…

1 Like

Any news about this coming out from Beta?

2 Likes

Never, they’re gonna keep it beta till roblox developers are crying to roblox to fix their new updates that look “totally cool” to them

3 Likes

Any updates on when this will be released would be appreciated - my team and I are waiting to use this for fire particles on an upcoming game we are working on.

4 Likes

This needs to be released, almost like 5-6 months and it’s still not out of beta, lots of games are getting delayed because of this.

10 Likes

Hi all!

Sorry for the delays on the release of Flipbooks. We are just about to release the feature and we will send an announcement next week! :partying_face:

I wanted to give you a heads up that if you’ve been testing Flipbooks through Lua scripting, we are changing the FlipbookLayout options naming as part of a set of design improvements to the feature. We recommend a search+replace pass on your scripts. The changes are the following:

• “TwoByTwo” is now “Grid2x2”,
  • “FourByFour” is now “Grid4x4” and
  • “EightByEight” is now “Grid8x8”.

This update will go live by end of this week, a bit ahead of the full release of Flipbooks!

23 Likes

Further to the above message, whilst we prepare the release of Flipbooks from Studio Beta status into Production there may be some stability issues during these updates. If you encounter stability issues of Studio in version #548, disabling the flipbooks beta and relaunching studio may provide a work around in this release version.

8 Likes

And if we could write the number of the grid to our preference?, there are particles that need more frames or that are not completely the same numbers… It would be better if we could write xframes and yframes

1 Like

Reasonable request! At the moment we’ll only release Flipbooks with those 3 options (2x2, 4x4 and 8x8). There are multiple technical reasons for this and we have ideas for implementations that would provide more flexibility for particles animation in general, but there are a number of other important improvements and requests across our rendering engine that we will be focusing on first :smiling_face:.

7 Likes

ETA on custom flipbook proportions my good friend?

you didn’t read their reply right
read again