Animating a player as well as a tool

I’m trying to animate an equip animation for a weapon, and I want the weapon itself to do some form of animation on it’s own whilst in the players hand, is there a way I can do that? I’ve tried all things such as binding them together with the character creation plugin and I’ve tried moving it but it doesn’t seem to move, hope there is a way!

Thanks

8 Likes

To use the default animation system, you will need to convert the grip weld to a motor6d.
This means:

• You will need to convert it to a motor6d with a script every time the tool is equipped, or the animation you make won’t run.
  • You will need to make a motor6d in the rig you are making the animation with, or you won’t be able to animate it in the editor.

There was some talk about replacing the grip weld with a motor6d so you won’t need a script, but I don’t think it’s coming any time soon (if ever).

You could also make a custom system bound to renderstep that updates the offset of the weld, but that has a lot of downsides and is about 10x as much work.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

To add on: every weld must be a Motor6D, not just the RightGrip weld.

• A RightGrip weld will allow the tool to show up on the Dummy but not any attached parts. The tool itself can’t be animated.
  • A RightGrip Motor6D will allow the tool to show up on the Dummy but not any attached parts. The tool can be animated, but only the handle.
  • All welds as Motor6Ds will allow the tool to show up on the Dummy and all attached parts with M6Ds. The tool and it’s parts can be animated.

The same principles can be applied to non-tool animating.

Personally, I have been using my own little plugin network to accomplish this easily.

I am using @Ozzypig’s weld plugin with a script edit that makes it use Motor6Ds instead of ManualWelds (saved as a local plugin); this I use to pre-weld tools (pre-welding is better than doing it with a script at run time). Once that’s done, I parent it to the animation dummy and use some code in the command bar to “pseudo-convert” the RightGrip weld into a Motor6D. After that, I’m ready to go. :+1:

In peak times of laziness, a lazy super-low-poly build of the tool, unioned, gets the job done.

7 Likes

I’ve been summoned. This makes me want to revisit that plug-in from eons ago…

3 Likes

(chanting) do it, do it, do it

1 Like

:slight_smile:

Thanks for the help, I’ll take a look into these!

Thanks dude, I’ll see what I can do with these solutions.

1 Like