Animating Handle doesn't seem to work

(i apologize if this is in the wrong area, i didn’t see an animation specific area, and scripting may or may not be a part of the issue)

Hey all, working on a project, and we made a custom rig for our tool, and when we created animations, we posed the Handle that was part of the rig, like this (this is one example, but the Handle does not animate properly on all of our animations):

katanacorrect

however, in game, the animation comes out like this:

When i made the rig, i copied the sword exactly from the script, down to the welds.

i’ve been looking into this for the better part of a week, i’ve re-rigged it, i’ve re-coded things about twice, thinking maybe it was my implementation that was the issue, but so far no fixes.

any animation experts able to tell me whats wrong? willing to provide any extra information if needed.

3 Likes

if you have moon animator and you haven’t already, use the easy weld moon animator gives you. From the looks of it though, you dont have it. Did you use Motor6Ds for the sword? or did you use normal Welds? if you used normal Welds, use motor6ds, and if you used motor6ds, try using welds.

2 Likes

the friend im working with made the animations with the stock Roblox animator, i was unaware that moon2 had an easy weld option! will look into that.

The tool has WeldConstraints in it, is that different from a regular Weld?

Tried the Motor6D route yesterday but the new rig made with that didn’t allow us to edit the weapon in either animation editor.

Hey scoster!

To my knowledge, you cannot use weld constraints when animating to change the “grip” of a weapon. I have used a similar approach to changing the grip of a weapon, and I found that creating a Motor6D joint between the hand and the tool works well.

If you have any questions on how to create a Motor6D between the tool and your character, or anything else, let me know.

Edit: For sake of simplicity, I’ve gone ahead an made an example rig that you can insert into your game to see how I’ve gone about attaching the weapon to the character. This is compatible with Moon Animator 2.
ExampleRig.rbxm (28.9 KB)

3 Likes

Hey! Thanks for the example! my turns out a lot of them are backwards. this fixes the rig, but the same problem seems to persist when trying to play the animation. i think our custom animations might be overlapping and causing some overrides… will go back to testing that, though

I had created an animation to test it with, and I made the Handle visible so i can see if it just wasn’t put together right, but the Handle still doesn’t move.

still no work

1 Like

I see what you mean. When exporting these animations make sure that you are setting the “AnimationPriority” value of the Animation, as that could be the cause of your overlapping issue. Make sure that animations that you want to have higher priority are set to “Action” or above, while Idle animations and movement get a lower priority.

Here’s a development document outlining Animation priority. Let me know if this fixes your issue.

1 Like

I went back into the Animation, set the animation type to “Action” within Moon2, and then re-uploaded it.
for simplicity, i also disabled everything else that changes or plays animations. basically nothing changed.
in this gif, i am pressing a button to make the animation happen, which is supposed to just rotate the Handle and change its position. it is static.

still no work2

Would you be able to save the model as an RBXM? I’ll gladly take a look at the joints further to see what the problem is.

1 Like

sure! im pretty sure its a bit messed up lol
if the rig is fine, that would mean my implementation in code is the problem, yeah?

katanarig.rbxm (45.5 KB)

I can confirm that the rig works fine on my end. I’m sure it’s a programming issue. When loading and playing an animation, be sure to also read and set the animation priority.

1 Like

Set the animation priority to a higher level to override default tool animation

1 Like

is that something i’m able to do in code? if so, i didnt realize you could grab that info in the script. that might help when i go to re-write the code in the morning.

Well, thank you for your time anyway! i at least learned how to make a better rig with your help!

All of our animations are set accordingly. the tool’s idle is set to Idle, and all attacks are set to Action.

turn animation weight up
idk why roblox decided to do this

1 Like

Turn them up all to action anyway, if you have a custom idle, this will conflict with the default animation

1 Like

Animation Weight? i hadn’t heard about roblox using that before. when did this get put in?

did a cursory google search, and gave it a quick test, but setting the weight to 10 still does not move the weapon in my characters hand. the only things that seem to move is the character itself…

1 Like

what are the names of the motor6d’s/parts used for the tools?; are they aligned with what’s specified in the animation?
are they motor6d’s?

2 Likes

Changed the idle animation to Action1, and that works fine, however, the weapon in my characters hand still does not move.

should be posed like this:
katanacorrect

1 Like

Yep! they are motor6Ds. If you’d like to check the rig out, i uploaded an rbxm file with just the rig earlier in the thread. Its the exact same as the one in the tool.

Check out Tool6D, it’s open source. Animate with Motor6Ds in your tools to give yourself more freedom whilst animating.

2 Likes