Animating NPC's in Cutscenes

My partner and I have been working on our project lately, and are needing to make cutscenes with our different NPC characters walking, running, or doing something in the background, etc. I thought tweening might work but so far I’ve got no luck.

Any tips on how to animate cutscenes?

Thanks
-Imagine

If you are talking in specific about camera movements, it may be worthwhile creating a module in which you feed in a table of tween positions, and it tweens for you.

On the topic of NPCs, you can use Animator:LoadAnimation() to load in the animations. (You could also pack info onto the same table as mentioned above, and write logic in the module to animate said characters)

1 Like

On the topic of NPC’s.

On the code “Animator: LoadAnimation()”, where would I put an animation ID to know when and what it plays?

This article should help you. However, Humanoid:LoadAnimation is now deprecated and any place that calls functions for the humanoid should be replaced with the Animator.

If what I said in that last sentence was confusing for you, read this post at the section “Reccomended Alternative”.

1 Like

Animator:LoadAnimation() takes an Animation Object. Create one in studio or by using Instance.new("Animation") and set Animation.AnimationId to your animation ID, and then use it in Animator:LoadAnimation(). Here is an example script:

local Animation = Instance.new("Animation") -- Create a new animation object.
Animation.AnimationId = "rbxassetid://0" -- This is NOT a valid animation id, just an example.

local Animator = Humanoid:WaitForChild("Animator") -- Waits for the Animator object to be put into humanoid, assuming you already have the Humanoid.

local LoadedAnimation = Animator:LoadAnimation(Animation) -- Loads the animation.

LoadedAnimation:Play() -- Plays the animation.

Just make sure when using animations, you use Server Scripts to run animations on NPC’s or other objects, and use LocalScripts to run animations on players.

3 Likes