Animation cubic easing direction reversed

Update, it still is broken plus inverting the easing style does not actually fix anything. When i invert the easing style in the animation editor, the resulting animation that plays in the client is still not as smooth as it was in the animator before flipping the easing style. It’s not great to know that i cant rely at all on the roblox animation editor anymore and instead have to export from other applications.

2 Likes

export from other applications

Do you happen to know any way to import existing Roblox animations into these applications?

2 Likes

Just switched to Moon at this point. It’s worth it to learn the different shortcuts and button layouts at this point.

1 Like

no, although the roblox animation editor is very limited and i would recommend playing with blender’s

2 Likes

wait, is it possible to import blender animations into roblox? Can you link me a video or something?

1 Like

It is a fairly simple process. If you made your character in blender then it should require no extra work, just open up the animation editor and import the animation from FBX after exporting from blender with the Bake Animation option (One animation per FBX file only). Make sure to export them without animation first.

If you want to animate a roblox rig you will need to first get a character rig for r15/rthro/etc and then export from there. In all honestly, since this issue has persisted for such a long time, it is probably a better alternative to just use blender or other animation plugins/tools.
This post is fairly outdated since you can natively import FBX animations now, but you still need the Blender plugin to be able to get the character rig in Blender without making it yourself.

2 Likes

This is still a high-impact issue

5 Likes

Absolutely, I am experiencing it as well and it’s making it painful to edit animations in studio.

4 Likes

I’ve asked Roblox Staff and sadly, it’s been confirmed that this will not be fixed. However, their response does mention a pretty good feature that can mitigate or entirely solve the issue:

5 Likes

Even using this it doesn’t turn out perfectly. My solution was to just copy EACH INDIVIDUAL frame from the original and have it linear. Not easy, but it definitely works

2 Likes

This is still an issue, and I really need this fixed as i need to use this to animate mesh deformation rigs. I’ve investigated and experimented, the issue is just animation editor showing you the wrong directions. So, in my opinion, the fix would just be in making the plugin show you the actual easing directions. And on top of that, correct animations with the wrong easing direction.

2 Likes

There’s a better way to do this. My friend told me there was a way that you can animate an object and blender, and then import it into Roblox. There’s a tutorial on how to do this, but you need a blender plugin and Roblox plugin. It works great!

1 Like

Well yes, I already considered that option, and I tried it, however the rig is setup in a way that doesnt allow me to animate in blender and import it to Roblox, this is done to bypass the tri count. So the only way to animate the rig is using Animation Editor, which right now is in my opinion the worse animation method on Roblox right now, especially due to this easing direction issue, of course, there’s other problems with it but this is the greatest one yet.

Please read the message almost directly above your post: Animation cubic easing direction reversed - #56 by INT_L

I just encountered this and realized it was never solved… What???
Roblox seriously hasn’t fixed it when this bug was posted roughly 2 years ago?

1 Like

as stated in a earlier post this will not be fixed Animation cubic easing direction reversed - #56 by INT_L

1 Like

Hello, while we have made the decision for now to preserve the reversed behavior for compatibility, we understand this is a pain point. Updating the preview in the Clip Editor to match the runtime behavior is a good suggestion, since that would at least give a clearer idea of the runtime result without changing existing animations.

In the meantime, as that earlier post noted, we have now released to beta a new Animation Curve Editor. Please take a look, as it provides fine-grain and visual control of the easing behaviors by directly editing the tangents of the curves.

5 Likes

I am noticing this bug still, more than 2 years later.

Animations keyframe EasingDirections In and Out are incorrectly swapped when playing animations. Animation editor correctly displays the expected result though.

1 Like

A Roblox animator, @SnyFort, has made a plugin for this. This has been a Roblox bug for pretty much forever. Plugin link: Revert Cubic Easing Direction - Roblox

2 Likes

Any idea when something might be done Studio-side to make this less ridiculous? Developers are having blindingly frustrating issues and getting stuck on export because of this obscure issue. Most recently, Animation loop is not seamless in-game. (Mesh deformation). Not to mention, it is incredibly demoralizing to find after 8 hours of animating, your walk cycle is a mess when you export it and you have no idea why.

If this cannot be actually fixed, adjusting the Studio tooling to compensate is the next obvious thing to do. Curves solve the problem if you can figure out how to use them, but people will continue to use the baked in easing styles because it’s easier at a glance.

2 Likes