Animation Editor Issues

The new studio animition editor feels clunky in its current state. Here’s a list of a few issues I’ve found:

-It has a nice new UI but it’s frustrating when I want to keep it popped out, and when I drag it around it locks itself into places I don’t want it to be.

-Clicking the space on the edge of black buttons on the bottom left (Step, Rotate/Move, Local Space/World Space) deselects the currently selected part instead of toggling the button, despite that fact that you clicked on the button which is mildly infuriating.

I also get a lot of bugs such as:

-The Interpolation setting not functioning

-Resetting the animation on specific parts doesn’t work (ex. clicking the keyframe for RightUpperArm and then hitting “Reset RightUpperArm” does not reset it)

-K to add keyframe or right clicking and hitting ‘add keyframe’ does not work

-Changing the length of the animation deletes the keyframes that are past that length, instead of scaling the animation down to fit the length. I don’t know if this is the intended behaviour but it’s very inconvenient.

-Selecting any of the help options fails to open a page

-Right clicking on the background clips the popup window inside the animation editor window. Same thing with “Save.” Would be nicer to use if it didn’t do this

-Clicking down to drag the current time, then moving the mouse out of the animation window and unclicking doesn’t end the drag, so if you move your mouse back to the window the current time will still follow your mouse

-Creating a new animation doesn’t give you the asset ID anymore, but updating an animation DOES give you the asset ID.

-This is unrelated to the animation editor, but it would be great to have the option to roll back to previous versions of uploaded animations. Uploading an animation feels like navigating a minefield because with one small lapse of attention or misclick, you could overwrite one of your other animations and lose that animation forever. Of course, you should save your animations locally but this is a lesson learned the hard way for new users. Also, sometimes you forget to save, and the clunky save UI doesn’t help either. You have to be careful at all times with the current system to not lose your work.

All of these things (and more that I’m forgetting) make it feel very clunky and it’s a frustrating experience trying to animate with it. I don’t know how much of this is ‘user error’ or actual bugs. Does anyone else experience these issues?

It would be great if these issues could be ironed out and the editor be made more stable and easy to use, because right now, the editor is very inconsistent and borderline unusable at times.

6 Likes

I just found a new bug.

Changing the length of the animation and then exporting it doesn’t actually change the length of the animation. In my case, I changed the animation length from .5 to .1 and exported it. When importing that same animation, the animation length was still .5 with all the old keyframes still there. To get it to work, I had to change the animation length to .1, save it locally, then load it from that save, THEN export it.

Edit: Another one.
The keyframe at the end of the animation doesn’t export, and it doesn’t save either. It just deletes itself. After further inspection, the keyframe is still there when the animation is played in studio, it just doesn’t load into the editor. The last keyframe also deletes itself as you are working sometimes if you hit undo. You don’t have to be working on the actual keyframe for it to delete itself.

Another issue: Dragging to move the current time only moves the time if your mouse is at the level or above the time bar. It doesn’t drag if you move your mouse down into the keyframe window.

Renaming keyframes doesn’t work. The option Rename Key Keyframe is grayed out.

2 Likes

Thank you for bringing this up, I’ve been facing similar issues and it’s frusterating when I’m using the roblox editor so frequently.

1 Like

Hi ColonelGraff,

Thank you for bringing these issue up! Some of these we are already aware of/working on, such as the renaming keyframes option not working as well as the issues you are having with adding a new keyframe via K or the right click menu.

Other issues, such as the UI being frustrating when popped out and popups being cutoff are issues with plugin widgets themselves. Eventually we are hoping to use popups in separate windows once studio supports them. The temporary solution however is to have the right-click menu be scrollable, and the save/load menus should also adjust in size a bit to fit into the window. Does this not happen for you?

As for changing animation length, are keyframes actually being deleted? When you change the time back to what it was, are all the keyframes not still there? The intended behavior of changing animation length is to only show keyframes that fall within that time range. Scaling is a separate functionality which exists in the editor, however is currently unavailable due to multi-selection not working after some studio input code changed. A fix for this is coming shortly as well.

I will start looking into the remaining issues that you have listed.

Thanks!

Thanks for the response, good to hear it’s being worked on. I realize I may have come off overly negative in my post… I do like the direction the editor is going, so long as the issues are fixed.

About popups, the scroll menu does show up, it didn’t before but it does now so that’s a good temp fix.

About changing animation length, you are right that the keyframes aren’t actually being deleted they are just hidden, my mistake.

there is a problem too, but with the facial editor, when the animation lasts more than 10 seconds (I do a cinematic) the facial editor stops working,ID of the Dinamic Head:13020486807
at the beginning it works fine but after a while it stops working, it should be noted that in the editor it works fine at all times but when running it does not move any facial articulation and even the other parts do move.
when the error starts to manifest itself at second 16 the animation lasts 20 seconds and something