Animation Priority?

I’m a little bit confused on how animation priorities work on the animation editor. What I want is this animation to override the idle animations. I did this by setting the animation priority to “Idle”. However, when doing this it would play over the running and jumping animations. I only want it to play over the idle animations. How do I fix this?

4 Likes

anything will override core, idle will be overridden by movement or action, movement will be overridden by action.

6 Likes

yeah, so ive set the animation to “idle”, but movement won’t override the animation for some reason.

2 Likes

Just have an idle animation but use AdjustWeight:

YourAnimation:AdjustWeight(0.7)

Basically it doesn’t override the animations but makes one appear more.

1 Like

ive done this, but problem seems to still persist

1 Like

You can set the animation priority by getting the animation id from the animation script(the idle animations). Load them into the animation editor, set the animation priority to core, then publish them as your own. Get the animations that you published and replace them in the animation script(you get the animation script by play-testing, looking into your character in the workspace, and you should see a local script named “Animate” and copy that script, exit play-test, then put it in startercharacter).

1 Like

no, thats not what im trying to do. im not trying to replace a default animation.

i need an animation to play over the idle animation, but can be overided by the players movement.

Then stop the animation when the player moves.

Ignore the names of priorities, its in order of highest to lowest, Action being the top priority and Core being bottom (which all the default animations use).

I’m just a little bit confused, because I set the animation to “Idle” which is the second to last priority. In theory, I think the animation should play over the default idle animation, but can be overrided by movement. However, movement doesn’t stop the animation for whatever reason.

1 Like

Like you said, the idle priority is higher than the movement priority therefore how can the movement override it? You are answering your own question.

what i meant is, “idle” priority is supposed to have a lower priority than movement, right? That’s what it should be. If I’m wrong then please tell me…

priority

According to how these are arranged, in theory “Idle” should always be a lower priority than movement. Please correct me if im being dumb.

4 Likes

It is very simple,

I don’t understand the problem you are having, ALL default character animations are of the core priority. If you want something to overwrite only a certain animation, you have to use scripting.

Edit: If you are thinking that the “idle” priority is for your character’s idle animation, it isn’t. Ignore the priority names they’re just confusing and annoying.

1 Like

Its very simple if you look at the list as you go down the list each one overwrites the ones above it

4 Likes