Animation Throttling is Moving to Opt-out

I tried it again, but it still gives me an error page.

1 Like

This doesn’t mean anything for me if I don’t use animation objects for non-player characters in my games, right? Just making sure.

1 Like

Correct. This only affects Model instances with an Animator descendant.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying! The constraint will not move independently from the bone. The wristwatch accessory using a constraint will appear in the correct position along the wrist of the character, even if the bone it is constrained to is throttled.

2 Likes

Does this affect GetMarkerReachedSignal and GetTimeOfKeyframe? My game depends on them.

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification. I still just use spinning around the Motor6D joints.

I operate on “if it isn’t broken yet, why replace it with something fancier?” and that particular thing has been working fine for my use cases since 2008. lol

1 Like

For some reason, my game is soft-locked to “Default”, which I’m not interested in.
Every time I change to either “Disabled” or “Enabled”, then save, then re-open, it’s back to “Default.”

This feature is highly destructive in my game, as it ruins the immersion we’re trying to create.
robloxapp-20220409-1332500 Dinosaurs near you, including yourself, for some reason get treated as if they’re 300 studs away, after a certain threshold since joining.

Ontop of that, it seems to be completely random too. Within your vicinity could be 10 dinosaurs, but only 3 of them playing at 5Hz, while the rest play at your FPS.

3 Likes

Hi @Jaco2811, the team has been looking into this and found that this is not related to the new animation throttling. The throttling continues to occur even if you disable it the Workspace.ClientAnimatorThrottling property. The issue seems to occur when using RigidConstraint.

Check out this post related to this issue: Skinned Animations Rendering Issue

We’ll also take a look into why the property gets reset back to default every time you reopen the place in Studio. Thanks for letting us know!

1 Like

Yea, we do use RigidConstraints. (For an important feature, so not possible to remove.)
Good luck finding a fix!

Thank you for your time.

• Jaco
3 Likes

Ahhhh gotta love the performance improvements.

2 Likes

Hi Kyle, this change should not affect the GetMarkerReachedSignal() and GetTimeOfKeyframe() methods.

1 Like

A coincidence that we started a game with waves of animated enemies, this is sure to be a massive help performance-wise!

1 Like

What’s the status on this? It’s quite urgent that this gets fixed, as we’re losing out on both PR as well as players with this immersion-breaking animation lag.

From some extensive testing, trying to see if it would revert to “default”, on 10 private places, as well as 10 group-places, there’s an overflood of it turning into “default” on group-places over private ones.

I had one private place, with some posed models for thumbnails, like here:

This place reset to “default” every time I rejoined. Then I decide to see what caused it, and re-created the whole place from the bottom.

So I start a new baseplate, without anything on it, I place the models in it, changed the lighting, and boom, this place is EXACTLY like the old place. However, this time, the setting doesn’t reset to “default” constantly. It stays on what I set it to.

Thus, it seems completely random, what makes it soft-locked to “Default”.

• Jaco
1 Like

Hi @Jaco2811,

The team actually has a fix for the RigidConstraint issue which is the cause of the flickering that you’re seeing in your game. The issue is unrelated to animation throttling, though it may look like it. It should be making it in to a release soon - though I can’t guarantee when it’ll be enabled for sure.

As for the issue with the reversion to default, are you making sure to merge changes in Team Create (Team Create | Roblox Creator Documentation)? Does it make a difference if you publish the place with the property set to Disabled?

2 Likes

Yup, everything is merged-together mighty fine, except for the softlock of ClientAnimatorThrottling.

I enter the team-create, then change from “Default” to “Disabled.”.

My POV:

My Co-Developers POV:
So, the other members, don’t see me changing it, which probably is why it doesn’t actually publish. (Regardless of there being other team-create members there or not, it doesn’t publish.)

We also just did this, with her setting it to “Disabled”, and same result.

But, if the team already has a fix for the RigidConstraint issue, I think we’ll manage waiting a week or two for that to hopefully come out.

• Jaco2811
2 Likes

Any news regarding the issue with the option being softlocked to “default”?

1 Like

@bobvilla1n
What happened to this? Our game has been largely unplayable for the hardcore playerbase for 2 months now, due to animations playing at 5Hz, with no news of the RigidConstraint issue.

1 Like

If it’s an issue, then just disable it??
I’m probably not getting something

1 Like

The bug report for this is here: Skinned Animations Rendering Issue

We just enabled a fix yesterday. Let us know if it’s still happening.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.