Animations not working on custom character

I’ve created this custom character.

And yes it is rigged properly.

I was able to properly create the animations and export them. But when I try changing the animations of the character it doesn’t play. The character just slides around.

I copied the Animate script from the player as my template and changed the AnimationId’s and put it in StarterCharacterScripts

I’m not sure why its not working. When I create a custom script inside of my test model (same model used as StarterCharacter) I was able to properly animate it.

Here is how that works:
https://gyazo.com/d0bb86e280fb84e60584be023281ae7e

But in-game the character just slides around, as shown in this gif:
https://gyazo.com/7886716a1e9e726ab57163962fdf7c1b

Here is what the model looks like:

I’ve even tried changing the AnimationId’s using a script inside of ServerScriptService with no luck. I’m not sure if its a problem with the animation, the character model, the rigging, etc. Maybe someone with more experience can help me? I really appreciate any feedback, thank you in advance :heart:

Questions I feel are gonna be asked:

Is this a group game / group asset?

• No this is on my account, my place, my asset

Have you tried re-making the animation?

• Yes

What priority did you set the animation?

• At first I did Core then I tried Movement neither worked

Did you loop the animation?

• Yes, at first. Then the second time around I didn’t. Both of them didn’t work

Have you tried doing the animations on the default roblox character?

• Yes, no luck either. Other animations would work, (i only set the walk animation at first) but when i walked my character would go stiff and just slide across the ground :frowning:

Is the character rig in the game settings set to r6?

• Yes, I’m not sure if this is required or not but I did it just incase.
1 Like

Is your game published?

If not, you must publish it, because you will need to set the BodyType of the game to R6

When i make a custom rig i put 2 animate scripts (localscript and script) inside, so i can play the animations in the server and in the client (i obtained this scipts from my character).

EDIT: I don’t really know, have you tried giving the HRP a higher RootPriority?

2 Likes

Yes, as stated in the last question / prompt in the post I did publish / set my BodyType to R6.

Could I just copy the code from the LocalScript Animate to a regular script?

I’ll look into the Root post thanks.

2 Likes

You will need to set the humanoid rig type in the humanoid of custom character to r6 watch my tutorial:

3 Likes

Rig type is set to r6

1 Like

Ok, watch the full tutorial. Did you edit animations inside the script or the animation objects parented to the script? I went over how to properly define variables for the character joints in my script which may help you.
Recommended that you watch it in youtube tab and not in roblox dev hub.

2 Likes

Thanks. The end portion of the video where you changed some of the variables in the script, seemed to help. It works now. Thank you! :slight_smile: :heart:

2 Likes

sorry to revive a dead conversation, have the exact same problem but the video is privated, know whats the variables needed to be changed?

2 Likes