Animations unusable with collaborative projects

I don’t tend to work with roblox animations so I only noticed this now. I’m not sure if it’s some awful security feature or a bug. Basically, while working with my friend on a project relying on the standard animation system, I can’t test the game because he owns the animations. They simply won’t load or play, resulting in a completely static character. Some mechanics even rely on the animations, so I can’t test those either. The only way to test is to play online. I don’t believe this issue is exclusive to teamcreate, just anything collaborative involving roblox animations owned by another player.

The place this has occured for me at is https://www.roblox.com/games/865340733/PlaceYouCantPlay
but I doubt this issue is exclusive to the place.

This absolutely hinders collaboration. Whether it’s a bug or a feature for security, then I think it blocks out collaboration and pushes developers away from using roblox animations.

4 Likes

This is supposed to be a security feature.

I think that if you make the animations group animations and both of you are in the group then you can both use them, but I’m not sure. That could work as a temporary work-around.

yeah, when animations were first released there were issues with players abusing animations by swapping out animations with different ones. It was actually pretty easy to do with fiddler since you could just redirect the request to a different animation file. I’d still imagine it’s possible to do this with any animation available to a particular place, but I haven’t tried.

What Corecii mentions about group games should be possible though.