AnimationTrack.Looped Does Not Replicate

LOL never realized it was a bug. Ive tried using .Looped for well over a year, failing, and thinking I was doing something wrong. Turns out it’s just broken.
Roblox, how about you fix this bug after 3 years? :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

Please fix this. Right now I have to create a system, whenever a looped animation gets turned on it has to send a remote signal to all clients to play an animation for that certain rig.

1 Like

Yup, I’m having the same issue still. Works fine when viewing from server side, but clients are looping.

1 Like

the issue is still here
 this is strange

1 Like

The bug is still occurring. I’m so disappointed rn :frowning:

1 Like

Ran into this today, threw me for a loop (hahah :drum:) until I eventually found this thread. My serverside NPCs were animating properly on the server, but not the client.

Kinda silly that this doesn’t replicate. It is not intuitive at all. This is very frustrating when you’re using animations you didn’t create (Roblox emotes namely) - as you can’t easily loop them without some weird and tedious workarounds.

4 Likes

It’s still happening
 It’s been three years, how is this still not solved? It’s incredibly annoying. Has this even been looked into?

1 Like

Adding on to this, could it at the very least be marked on the documentation that AnimationTrack.Looped doesn’t replicate? This has been happening for 3 years, it seems like at this point it should just be made official.

4 Likes

Damn. Didn’t think I would be stumped by a 3 year old bug :unamused: spent the last few hours trying to figure out why my animations weren’t looping. At least I’ve got closure as to why they weren’t :rofl:

2 Likes

This is still a problem. Are there any updates on this? It’s been nearly 4 years
 this is an incredibly inconvenient bug that makes working with humanoids & animations on the server-side quite a headache.

3 Likes

For the ones that are in need of this property and don’t know what to do, here are some work arounds:

• Work around 1:
    while true do
       AnimationTrack:Play()
       AnimationTrack.Stopped:Wait()
    end

• Work around 2:
    Go directly to the animation editor and set the animation to loop, then just go to the game and call Play (the animation will literally just loop).
2 Likes

From a user perspective, the engineering work required to fix/add a feature is more often than not very deceiving. Things you expect to take a large workload actually don’t, and things that seem easy to fix might be caused by a very deep engine implementation that can’t be easily changed.

For bug reports, it’s best to argue in terms of the impact it has on you as a developer to have it resolved. It’s not really constructive to talk about “effort to fix”, because we simply can’t reason about it, nobody here actually knows.

It’s definitely true that when bugs have a good(!) workaround, there is less of an incentive to resolve the issue if there are other pressing matters going on. But I don’t think either of those workarounds is particularly satisfying. The second one seems good but it inhibits you when you need the same animation both looped and non-looped.

3 Likes

Animation replication is different from all other replication IIRC. When you play an animation from the server multiple times, you actually get separate tracks each with their own animation object on the client.

As above, it’s not always as straight forward as you think, and it’s pointless to argue about engine internals since nobody knows. Focus on impact the issue has on you if you want it resolved more quickly.

4 Likes

This bug prevents me from stopping Roblox emote animations from looping when disabling the Looped property on the server.

2022 :thinking: Just encountered this bug. Can we get an update on the ticket progress @CodeWriter ?

3 Likes

We are working on improvements to the animation replication system that should resolve this issue. Unfortunately, those improvements are taking longer than expected as we don’t want to break any existing functionality. We are continuing to work on this, though and we hope to release it as soon as it is working well.

22 Likes

What sort of timeframe are we looking at? It’s still causing some significant problems and the workarounds at not pretty.

At the very least, a way to get loaded animations in an Animator without using AnimationPlayed would be much appriciated.

2 Likes

Not sure if this helps.

The first video. I had the priority of the animation set to “Idle” (for the idle crawl animation)
https://gyazo.com/562fb0cd01366fe4b20b0fbe10e302e2.mp4

The second video. I had the priority of the animation set to “Core”.
https://gyazo.com/653783cb11065971c85cf8a6a9b070d8.mp4

Core priority animations seem to replicate properly.
For anyone else if the animation doesn’t have to be a higher priority this seems to be the solutuion

Animator_Bug.rbxl (34.6 KB)
Still an on-going issue causing replication issues for other clients.

4 Likes

I think Animations should be just handled clientside, why would the server (which no one plays on the server) handle animations? Who will see the server animations apart from only thing doing is sending the information to all clients which you can also do using OnClientEvent’s and FireAllClients() call in case you want it to replicate/sync with other clients, but i think just having the server fire a remote to all clients to update the animations for these is the best solution

But go ahead, flag this post because this forum is literally 1984

3 Likes

It’s 2023 and Roblox still hasn’t fixed this bug. The only solution to this is by using RemoteEvents, firing all clients and changing the loop but, the problem is that the server gets none of that code and it will remain dead. You sadly cannot send the loaded animation back to the server but better than nothing I suppose :confused:

2 Likes