Announcing DragDetectors!

This place Tybalt provided nicely showcases it: Lift And Carry - Roblox

7 Likes

Great feature I can imagine this will be very useful and make things more efficient for some people

6 Likes

So ready to add physics props all over the world that you can yeet off cliffs and at your friends.

10 Likes

Awesome!

Now, about that explorer iconā€¦ :wink:

10 Likes

@PeZsmistic I traded in my crown for a crash helmet and now Iā€™m ready to play your games!

PrinceTybaltCrashHelmetSmall

15 Likes

yeeeet

Why yeet stuff at your friends, if you can yeet your friends directly :upside_down_face:

28 Likes

The first thing that I will make interactive will be laid creature eggs and this will have disastrous consequences, your helmet wonā€™t save you.

12 Likes

Is it correct to assume that approximately 90% of development time was spent just flinging people around? Iā€™m not sure how you could ever peel yourself away from this madness :slight_smile:

10 Likes

It wasnā€™t that much time. We worked hard, too!

ā€¦ maybe 89%.

Hope youā€™ll have as much fun as we did with these :slight_smile:

19 Likes

Way back in 2008 I had a creature in my game that had a teleporter on its face and a hollow stomach full of seats. This was 2008 and none of us could write code very well, so the result of this was people trying to eat each other, resulting in a massive explosive stack of self-intersecting monsters all constantly teleporting into each other and writhing around the map like a furious little all-consuming tornado.

Will be honest, itā€™s severely tempting to spend a month switching to the new physical humanoid controllers right now so I can do stupid character physics nonsense again with drag detectors. Massive dinosaurs picking up little mice and drop-kicking them into volcanoes is peak emergent gameplay.

13 Likes

@Elttob
Things I spent over half an hour playing with when I first saw them working, as we were developing the feature:

In DragDetectors TestWorld 1

• Slingshots aka #2: Pull/Release To Fire
  • Bowling aka #4: Roll Ball and Let Go to Bowl
  • Wheel Of Fortune aka #5B: Ask a Question, Spin the Wheel
  • Marionette, #24 (which is essentially my graduate thesis come to life in real time)

in DragDetectors TestWorld 2

• #15, Throw It!
  • #21 Slamming Doors
  • #19 Nested Knobs
  • The Seven Dwarves Curve Editor (unlabled, look for the gems)
14 Likes

Is there a maximum range limit? Like, whatā€™s stopping someone from dragging an object from the opposite side of the map if their mouse is directly over it?

5 Likes

Having made my own drag system, it isnā€™t terribly complex. It requires a decent amount of math to get the position right, but itā€™s strait forward, itā€™s not the kind of script that requires many exceptions and stuff

Looking at the Lift And Carryā€™s code, it seems like it uses math that I do not use in my grab system. I do not know how Defaultio made his grab system

Though I like the approach of making code ā€œsimpleā€ and letting the code determine the behaviour, the result is often good

6 Likes

Thats so cool, ill definitely look more into this

5 Likes

@XenoSynthesis

The DragDetector.MaxActivationDistance property sets a limit for how far your character can be from the object in order to drag it. The default is 32, which you can change. So you have to be within 32 studs in order to drag it.

Once a player starts dragging, they may drag it as far away as they like. If you want to limit where they may drag it, then you should [a] set the DragDetector.ReferenceInstance to an object like the Terrain or some marker object of your own. [b] set the MinDragTranslation and MaxTranslation (Vector3s)( to define a box relative to the pivot of the ReferenceInstance.
Then, the player will only be able to drag within the confines of that box. If any dimension of the Vectors has equal values, then thereā€™s no constraint. Itā€™s only applied if the max value is greater than the min. For example: MinDragTranslation of (-10, 0, -10) and MaxDragTranslation of (10,0,10) will restrict you to a square in X and Z, but you can drag anywhere in Y

7 Likes

So I could telekinetically pick up an object next to me and keep moving it indefinitely if no bounding box is defined? Interesting.

6 Likes

You are writing the game. Itā€™s all up to you. And if you canā€™t do what youā€™d like, we want to hear about it!

8 Likes

Great to see this release! :smile:

Iā€™m going to have fun with this!

Thank you! :partying_face:

:eyes:

If this releases, then I would love it so much! :star_struck:
8 Likes

It looks like when I rotate my camera or player in first person, the part seems to distance itself or make itself closer, rather than just move with its current distance. Is there a possible fix for this in the near future?

7 Likes

Check out this demo place, it sounds like it have your intended behavior. Lift And Carry - Roblox

5 Likes