Announcing the New Roblox Creator Roadmap (Part 1 of 4)

those “top 150” were also made by like 4 studios in total.

ontop of that; i really really love how there is not a single mention of making games (especially new ones) easier to find or advertise!

1 Like

THIS!! EXACTLY THIS!!

It’s absolutely insane that we still don’t have essential features like SSR, Baked lighting, Baked Cubemaps, and Custom Shaders in Roblox. I mean, seriously, it’s like a never-ending joke. Their excuse of not providing these features because a portion of the Roblox playerbase doesn’t support them is just weak. Hello? They can easily disable features based on hardware capabilities. Take the example of Future lighting not being available on Android. If the hardware supports it, why not allow us to use these features?

Roblox is built on C++, a low level language that should have no problem detecting hardware capabilities. Moreover, they could easily exclude certain features like SSR from their mobile branches and fallback to their envmap feature. So, what exactly is stopping the engine developers from implementing these much-needed features?

It’s high time Roblox steps up its game and listens to its community. We deserve the freedom to utilize advanced features if our hardware is capable.

4 Likes

Sadly i do actually believe the excuse of “performance” is applicable for all of these. Not because mobile phones cant run them but more like the fact that the engine itself is uhhhhhhhh… Not that great to say the least. I also believe its a thing of just there being barely any sort of demand for any of these features along with roblox themselves having no reason to add them. I think this is more a loop of most people thinking that whatever feature adds (that realistically was a thing since at least a decade ago) is something equivalent to “RTX” and the reason they do not run is totally not because of poor implementation and an overall ancient and unoptimized engine but more like because theire “RTX” or “Next Gen” features. I believe most people not knowing what x and y actually are may be a good factor as to why roblox themselves does not try to implement any of these features. If they think per-pixel lighting is some ultra realistic next gen stuff then why even bother showing the majority that theres more and way more modern tech available? Still this one about roblox just not needing to add anything cuz people dont know any better is probably a bit far fetched but to be honest, its not unlikely for this to be a real factor. Oh and also the fact that all these new (and old) technologies will always go against their love for automatic and dumbing down of x and y for the convenience of a 30 second “developer” (Aka most of these features requiring a lot of thinking in order to make them dumb enough for any random person opening studio for the first time to use them)

1 Like

Yes, but the people who use these automatic features are not professionals. professionals who want to make front page / visually demanding games require more access to change the behaviour manually. The engine being old isnt an excuse either. They can recode the engine, keeping support for the old games and keeping behaviour nearly identical. Im not saying this is easy and can be done in quickly. But its just frustrating to expand with so limited features. Like, how does this engine for example not even have functional emission maps? Its actually ridiculous. EVEN GOLDSRC FROM 1998 HAD THIS FEATURE.

4 Likes

Yea uh sadly i doubt the focus on any real developer. I think theire more mainly focusing on dressing up the engine along with studio as this magical toy everyone can get into to get some quick praises from random players who never tried developing before along with investors.

2 Likes

I hope there’s also plans to improve terrain, both with more customization (including being able to have more than one water setting), but also improved scriptability and reduced restrictions. I simply cannot get terrain to do what I want it to do. It’s stuck on this oversized grid and doesn’t allow for any smaller edits. The ability to place water or terrain while ignoring the other would also be very useful.

Will we ever get additional terrain functionality for parts? Currently you can’t set a part’s material to water. Even when you force it through the command line, it obviously doesn’t actually change anything. I want part water, as well as terrain decorations to be toggleable on a per-part basis for grass material parts, same for water properties of a water part. Obviously we can make our own custom replacements, but those will always be less efficient and require far more effort than a simple built-in material.

6 Likes

I’m pretty excited for global winds and aerodynamics. So much weather opportunity!

Here you say:

• Future Lighting Studio Default - Future lighting as the default lighting model, boosting the visual quality of experiences for more creators (Late 2023)

Could we also see lighting improvements to the on-website/app avatar editor? I’m not entirely sure about the technical hurdles that would be involved to accomplish such a feat, but I believe the lighting in the editor would look somewhat bland compared to the Studio engine.

2 Likes

Will roblox Studio ever receive 64 Bit? Mine is still 32 Bit.

3 Likes

Roblox Studio has been 64-bit ever since I joined Roblox in 2018. What are you talking about?

2 Likes

In fact, we are only 64 bit as of this year. :smile:

9 Likes

Doesn’t seem like it, really at all, Like it needs a heavy perf boost

When is (Mid 2023)?

You dont have to say the exact date, but I would like to know what month. It was Mid 2023 a month and a half ago (The 6th) Will these (Mid 2023) changes be on the 8th? 9th? or this month.

Thanks for reading

5 Likes

this is a really good and elaborate roadmap.
HOWEVER I am in some way, against the Marketplace going public.
It’s already suffers from issues such as discoverability and overcrowded, copied items to go public yet. I think the honour of publishing avatar items should be held to those who submitted applications, however I would be more relaxed to public UGC if more staff is allocated to it in order to make sure that the moderation is strict.

2 Likes

i hope to see as soon as it comes

Looking forward to those updates, a lot of them are actually very helpful.
I specifically like the global wind a lot.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.