Anthropomorphic Avatars

I’m not favourable of this addition. Sure it’s still R15, but it takes the “blox” out of Roblox. And sure, packages exist, which aren’t so “blocky” either, but they’re not this bad. Roblox itself has a unique feel to it with the characters already, and this change is transforming it into none-other than a generic MMRPG. This really isn’t what Roblox is about. I say no to this. I prefer Yourius’ characters to the one Roblox had designed. Much more sophisticated.

30 Likes

I’d like to further credit @yourius and the SO Games team for the Q-CLASH characters shown here.

Check @SO_Roblox on Twitter for more info.

5 Likes

85 Likes

I really don’t have much of a response to this new feature, other than just simply no.

24 Likes

Oh christ no that’s terrible :grimacing:

14 Likes

Characters are actually a very good idea.
I supported the characters that were shown prior to R15
I don’t think ROBLOX should halt this because games haven’t been built to suit this, but rather thats all the more reason to implement it and then give the developers the tools and features to make it work. One step at a time.

Exactly. Not yet. No games are ever made to work well with it simply because coding custom characters to this degree are a pain in the arse. Very few developers have actually gone to this degree. We should be pushing for more functionality to make it fit better. Better texture support. Mesh uploading also plays an important role.

Plays an important role in this. This game took a huge step to more realism.

People keep forgetting that ROBLOX has grown so much. They are so concerned about their precious aesthetic that they don’t realize just how much control you have over the engine to change the aesthetic to be whatever you want. Its no longer one specific style like it used to be. And I expect this trend to grow more and more.

Its also obvious that if this does hit production, it won’t be forced, just like R15 so if all else fails you can still keep your blocky aesthetic. Especially since ROBLOX is trying to move the settings into Studio.

Overall, I supported the old Avatar 2.0s and still support these anthropomorphic avatars in light of the future of ROBLOX as they continue to push the boundaries of the engine, no longer enforcing the old aesthetic, but rather make it a choice.

13 Likes

The Q-Clash characters are not reverting to our roots. They just fundamentally look better than the proposed avatars, which are not bad because they don’t fit with the ROBLOX aesthetic, but bad because they aesthetically would not fit with anything – ever. The Q-Clash characters would provide the same opportunity to change how ROBLOX games look, and are not being requested because nobody wants to update their game. The aesthetic – not the proportions – are what are disliked.

12 Likes

I think there’s a massive distinction between “realism” and “style” you need to make here.

Realism does not always equal progress in games, this is a common misconception. Mario hasn’t been turned into a full human because stylistically he looks better as a cartoon character, even in 3D.

It’s the same way in Roblox, creativity and user-freedom aren’t set by the amount of options or realism a character has, but rather by the size of the canvas. R15 and R6 were great examples of iconic forms that people could shape to their likes because they’re basically paint canvasses people can draw on.

The rig for the anthro characters is impressive, yes (but seriously, the butts looks like diapers), but it lacks personality and emotion. Which is why they look so extremely out of place and uncanny.

A lot will need to happen to make realistic characters possible in Roblox, such as bendable limbs would make a huge improvement because static parts for arms and legs just don’t cut it at a certain point anymore.

Honestly all I’m wondering is, who is the audience for this and who does this appeal to? Do players play Roblox to expect realistic graphics, characters and proportions? Are they changing the whole direction Roblox has had for the last decade, from being cartoony to realistic? I didn’t think Roblox was that kind of game.

It’s a weird angle to me.

27 Likes

Confused as to why you guys are attempting it again after it was shut down completely last time and R15 was the resulting compromise. Who wants this? Why do characters need to be more realistic? The only real use case I could see for these types of avatars is for those RP games. Don’t see them working with any other kind of game.

18 Likes

I’m not a huge fan of these, but like @echoreaper says, I want what’s good for ROBLOX. I thought that some of the renders of R15 characters with packages like pirate, robo suit, soccer player, etc. were really nice. I think they were renders of xbox packages? They were kind of similar to yourius’s stuff, which I think is a good aesthetic. The proportions of the characters seem kind of child-like which I think fit’s ROBLOX’s major audience and fits the cartoony feel of the current ROBLOX characters.

1 Like

Noticed people found the old version of the Anthro Demo. Please disregard that version, it is an old version and not an accurate representation of our current progress.

You can view the newest version here:

2 Likes

I simply disagree. To say ever is a huge absolute statement.

Adjustments will be made just like how R15 needed tuning. As I said, ROBLOX should also start providing the tools to suit the aesthetic that the anthro characters provide. I never claimed realism = progress. But it equals for the ENGINE itself to be able to support these kind of looks as right now, it proves difficult. More and more developers are pushing the envelope for the engine and these characters can definitely be an aid in that if the desired goal is a more realistic environment.

If you really look at what im saying im speaking about two key points. Functionality and Choice. These characters pave the way to such functionality for people to make the choice to or not to use them. ROBLOX’s backwards compatibility makes this perfect because if these characters won’t fit, force the older ones.

Now however the controversial debate whether these will work or not aside, I described previously different games calls for different looks or levels of realism. Custom characters have always been a pain and more functionality to support for developers to make their own should definitely be a concern.

Its also worth noting that one of ROBLOX’s goal was to shift loyalty from the platform to individual games. As the variety of games shift and change, the default characters can often become undesirable. Many games already force certain clothing or strips hats and such away from you to either provide their own marketplace or force a style. Gears used to be used all the time, now games have basically completely phased them out making them solely a website aesthetic.

So in this regard how do we consider if the platform grows where R6 or R15 no longer looks good. If the platform grows and most games end up ditching website customization for their own? What becomes of the characters on the website? UGC would simply just become content for developers to use in their games like free models. (R15 and Anthro already are paving the way for this)

In this regard, I see at some point website characters being phased out and most content becomes a marketplace for developers.

3 Likes

I don’t see any big change between V1 and V2.

3 Likes

I hate this new avatar this much

image.jpg

16 Likes

The only thing this can be used for is…

Dank Memes

soloanthro2.png

16 Likes

This got so much community backlash and hate the previous time, I honestly don’t know why you youd still try and push for it lol. You guys think trying to control online dating with blocks is an issue, wait till roblox becomes an IMVU dating sim :cold_sweat:

R15 is a good platform and a nice compromise. Roblox should be focusing on bettering it rather then trying to push for something that players have obviously pushed against.

29 Likes

God, why. Why can they NOT KEEP the old avatars. Why do they have to do this. Just keep the old avatars.

26 Likes

You’re all so inconstant of what you want and don’t want Jesus guys.

4 Likes

OMG :joy: please tell me this is a joke

10 Likes

Slippery slope fallacy.

Platform end goal doesn’t always align with what the team wants. They need to keep some of the integrity of what their goal is. Community has backlashed on a TON of things that ended up being beneficial to the platform as a whole.

Its not like its going to be forced on you.

6 Likes