Anthropomorphic Avatars

I’d prefer these anthro characters over totally realistic characters any day.
It retains the partially blocky feel whilst also allows for a more immersive gameplay

1 Like

Also allows for more ugly characters that don’t fit in with anything.

10 Likes

They fit in quite well - they’re very similar to @Tomarty 's anthro characters and nobody complained about them when they were added to his place.

People said the same stuff about R15 - that it’s ugly and that it doesn’t fit in with anything, however many front-page games now either support or force R15 (including jailbreak)

Note as well that it only ‘allows’ for ‘ugly characters’ - this doesn’t mean everyone will be forced to have these characters, in fact I think to begin with it’ll be quite a niche community who use it.

2 Likes

37 Likes

Let me respond to that then.

1. Then make it a free model, an easily installed free model, or even a plugin that auto-installs these morphs.
    You’ve got to realize that, even if this change will benefit a few roleplaying communities, roblox will take great credit in these morphs and probably make it the new face for their website. That’s not to mention, this being a default rig would also bring in more catalog assets, by that point we would have catalog assets for R6, R15 and now some for Anthro? It would be very messy, and even then, making custom assets for the anthro morph would be alot harder than making assets / cosmetics for the lego rig that we’ve all grown to love. People have spent years mastering the techinques of desiging clothes, morphs, hats and GFX renders, all related to the lego rig. The R15 rig didnt change this, which made it acceptable.

2. Even if its going to be optional, alot of places will migrate to this new system, places such as Clubs, Roleplay Places or Hangout places in general will all adopt this new human like rig. And do you want to know what a more human-like rig brings? It brings more realistic body parts, and these body parts include body parts that some find attractive ( breasts for an example ). Now, you can argue whether ODing will increase by this or not, and I think it will. Kids or Adults who OD on roblox at the moment all dress with the 2.0 or 3.0 package already, they wear realistic looking hair and clothes, all because it draws more attention and sexuality ( Which this morph will do too ). We can also see this on places who already bring a more realistic approach to the playable avatar. I caught my little sister ODing on Shard Seekers for example.

3. Yet again, the R15 change differs alot from this avatar change.
    The R15 rig still kept the lego approach, that we’ve all gotten used to. The R15 rig didn’t change the way people look at roblox, the R15 rig didn’t change the way we design clothes, faces, hats, or other cosmetics, and even if it did, It didn’t make it more difficult for designers, which this Anthropomorphic rig would.

11 Likes

Nice photoshop skills

however yes, they’ll need custom places to fit into, just like R15 needs custom scripting

6 Likes

Tomarty’s characters are nice because they’re used in moderation – sometimes things are great because of circumstance, and would be awful if copy+pasted everywhere mindlessly. I’d have a serious problem with them in all games. These characters don’t aesthetically fit with anything – it’s not a matter of ROBLOX’s current aesthetic.

2 Likes

ROBLOX won’t make Anthro the face of their website, at least not for a couple years if everything goes to their plan. Likewise, all current catalog assets aside from gear (WIP) work with both R15 and R6.

Again. This is optional. Like R15. You aren’t forced to script / make assets for it if you don’t feel the need to.

And perhaps ODing will increase. Personally, I doubt it - but you shouldn’t think of the worst possible case every time for every change, you just have to wait and see, and tackle that issue if it arises.

2 Likes

no thanks

28 Likes

I agree with that - if people start ramming them into random places, it’ll be terrible

But I think that due to the community outrage at this, it’ll be used as it really should be - in moderation
Most game devs won’t risk adding it because it could upset their fanbase, and also because it’d require a ton more scripting and probably a total place rebuild.

What @NoCollider suggests is literally the exact same as what I think ROBLOX plans - the option for a game creator to add it if they feel that it’d improve their game to the extent that their game focuses around the anthro rig, but nothing more.

2 Likes

You honestly got a laugh out of me but this made me realize something. What you did in that image is the equivalent of cutting and pasting the starting roblox character in an image and that wont look pretty either.

So maybe if they refine the anthro clothing, faces and accessories they can end up being really good

5 Likes

It will be, what do you mean.
Ofcourse, every single Club, Boys / Girls only Hangout, Obby for admin, Highschool, City and Adoption roleplay place will all adopt(ᶰᵒ ᵖᵘᶰ ᶦᶰᵗᵉᶰᵈᵉᵈ) this new Avatar, and that’s what all the backlash is about.
People are obviously not against the simple idea of having some places use human like avatars, and to your response, yes. This will be released as a new avatar, not as a free model that some places can use.
And that’s whats problematic.

7 Likes

Bad plan. This is a waste of engineering resources if no one uses it. The core design should continue to be improved until it will be used substantially.

11 Likes

Hello everyone,

While we understand that it is important for everyone to voice their thoughts, please keep in mind that this specific thread was posted to the public section of the Developer Forum. Please remember to stay on topic throughout the conversation. We are taking all of your feedback and concerns into consideration but for this to continue we have to make sure all rules are being followed.

Thank you,
Developer Relations Team

9 Likes

Hey Carlos,

Do you think we could get a public announcement thread any time soon with a brief Q&A taken from questions here? I think it would really help calm some people down and provide some clarity to the update :smile:

4 Likes

Steam?

2 Likes

It isn’t generally free to play a game on Steam, and you need lots of experience before you will be able to make a product that is published on Steam.

2 Likes

I am a bit late here, but I still want to express my opinion.

At this moment I am AGAINST this avatar. I feel that it goes against what ROBLOX is and creates an image that no one wants. The current system certainly needs to be updated and streamlined, but overall it allows developers to turn their in-game characters into whatever they want. Realism should be an option, not a requirement.

R15 has its issues, but I am looking forward to it being updated and integrated into more games. Who knows, ROBLOX might release another avatar idea that we all will fall in love with.

4 Likes

It’s not a requirement lol just like R15 isn’t.

1 Like

10 Likes