Any basic tips for noob builders?

Hi! Could anyone please give me some basic advice and tips for building for a Roblox game? I’m trying to build a hangout, since I don’t know scripting I’m trying to keep it as basic as possible.
Also could someone please help me with these:

• Do you recommend building on Blender or Roblox studio? And which one would turn out better?

• how do I make letters with the parts on Roblox Studio?

• is it really that necessary to use textures other than the ones on Roblox studio already?

• any tips on getting a ‘clean look’ when building something?

Thank you so much for your help, it really is appreciated!

13 Likes

hi I would recommend building on Roblox studio.
to make letters you could use surface gui on the parts then on the gui just type the letter
you dont really need to use textures
create smooth edges and if you are making something look realistic make sure everything looks realistic.
have a nice day

5 Likes

You could use the rotate and move tools for that or use this plugin
ThreeDText 2 - Roblox

7 Likes

As a beginner you should definitely learn to builld in Roblox studio, however also learn to model on Blender or some other modelling software.

Making letters with roblox studio parts isn’t easy so it’s better that you model the text in blender/ cinema 4D and then import it into roblox studio, I find it pretty easy that way.

Sometimes you want a different texture than the ones already present in roblox studio so using those other textures can be helpful.

Do use increments.

7 Likes

No. Use of blender is completely optional and if you’re just looking towards becoming a builder, it’s a waste of time for now. 3d letters can be made with plugin, meshes can be also made with solid modelling. You don’t need to spend time learning an entire new program. Roblox offers large variety of tools so that it’s perfectly possible to make a full game without having to use any external applications.

About tips:
Disable “join surfaces” option (in Model tab). It spams a ton of unnecessary welds which are a pain to remove later.

Blender is more of a proffesional/advanced tool. Yeah, it is beginner-friendly but takes much more time than studio and is not necessary.

Practise a bit and you should be able to make them yourself or just use a plugin

No, it’s completely optional

5 Likes

Using blender was a suggestion

3 Likes

Use increments. Please use increments.

Also for realism/an eye-catching experience, use your own textures, not Roblox materials. Make sure to image compress them for better performance.

For a clean look, utilize lighting and glass. Really depends on what you’re working on though.

5 Likes

Be consistent.

If you decide to mix & match a few styles, it’s up to you, but make sure they fit together nicely. I’ve seen many games which utilize high-quality realistic textures on one thing, but have a flat-shaded, low-poly model right next to it. The realistic model is then sticking out like a sore thumb. If you choose your game to be realistic, do your best to only use realistic models, materials, and textures.

Experiment.

Don’t be scared to try out something new! The worst that can happen is wasting time, but that’s probably the drawback of everything that has ever existed. Use unions, meshes, unique shapes, textures, PBR, terrain, atmospherics, skyboxes, etc. There’s a whole lot of things you can do while building. I can’t even name all the things I thought would be ugly but turned out to be miracles. And the other way around. Some things will look good in your head but will turn ugly once you build them. And that’s normal! You always learn something with every brick you place.

Plan ahead.

Improvising isn’t always bad, but having a good idea of what you want to build before you get started is always like a head start. While improvising, in the middle of building something, you may realize that something you came up with earlier doesn’t always work. But when having a decent plan, you know what to expect. I remember building a small room and stuffing it with anything I thought looks good. But then I realized that the bed I put in doesn’t fit with the room’s aesthetic. The window was too small to light up the room, etc.

I thought this room would look bad, but it turned out ok (except for the colors and the emptiness) . This is from a time when I was starting out with building and Blender. I had a clear plan of what I wanted it to look like before starting out.

That’s all I have for now.

15 Likes

Thank you so much! :grinning: This will help me a lot ^^

1 Like

Epic, thanks you so much! :grin:

1 Like

Woah, that is a big paragraph! Thank you so much!
For the lettering plugin, do you by chance know the name - I think it would help me a ton.
Thanks again!

1 Like

Sorry, i’m that much of a noob, I have no idea what increments are :sweat_smile: (Or maybe I just need a better vocabulary understanding…) Do you mind elaborating on that?
As I get better at building I definitely want to start putting in my own textures, so thank you for that! :grin:

1 Like

I found out what unions do and it is like the most revolutionary thing I have used :joy:, so I can’t wait to see what the other things you mentioned can do, which I hope to utilise as I get better as building!
Thanks again for the tips!

Also, sidenote, those builds are amazing! Please congratulate yourself on that too! :smiley:

2 Likes

You can just search “3d text” in the resources category

2 Likes

When using unions, be careful. They can ocassionally corrupt forcing you to restore them manually and also more complex unions have inaccurate hitboxes.

2 Likes

Oof, ok.
Thanks for letting me know, I will be careful about that!

1 Like

Recommend building on Blender, you can do a lot of things on the Studio and I made my first creations with the “parts” but sooner or later you always end up using Blender. It is much more suited to construction and more optimized, it opens all the doors to 3D.

To have a clean aspect, the parts of roblox studio are very bad, with blender there are no imperfections. For textures, with the arrival of PBR on roblox, it is preferable to create your own
(so you need to unwrap mesh with Blender), roblox textures are very limited

4 Likes

So, the one thing that will improve any build is planning it out before you build it. Before starting any build, I draw out a brief blueprint. Also, think about the colors you want to add to it, and the style you want to go with (realistic, cartoony, semi-realistic, etc). Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Blender can cause issues with large-scale builds due to roblox limitations. Additionally, it forces you to upload images which can end up with you getting moderated because roblox image moderation is very unreliable. Additionally, you’ll need to go through the uploading proccess every time you want to change a tiny detail. Therefore I recommend you only use blender for props and smaller stuff, not larger builds.

3 Likes

For the large scale builds, you talk about collision ? True for the image but but it’s still rare, and for the details we just have to be sure of what we are doing in Blender before exporting a little discipline and we will have no problem. I think we need to start Blender as soon as possible

2 Likes