Any Free Alternatives to Photoshop and Other Paid Apps That Help With UI Designing? (Other Than GIMP and Blender)

Hello there! Basically, the title says it all!

I want to know, before I start looking into and potentially buying Photoshop, are there any other services that would help me with making GFXs and GUI objects? Because currently, I use Google Drawings for the most part (I know, very basic). And I am seeking for an upgrade.

This is @TedArthur’s work from his portfolio. I am using it as an example of what I want to achieve.
UI%20Set%20Final%20Showcase

Many quality UI designers like him use Photoshop and/or Cinema 4D. But first, I would really like to know if there are any free (but somewhat same amount of functionality and control) as the ones PS and C4D. I already know about GIMP and Blender, so please post about an application excluding those.

The reason why I posted this is because I am planning to make my UI designer portfolio soon, and I want to present some quality work. So, Google Drawings just ain’t gonna cut it!

In Summary

Any free, but close to the same quality as Photoshop/Cinema 4D, apps that can help with making UI elements?

Thank you in advance.

9 Likes

Krita is open source, and has almost photoshop-like quality.

5 Likes

Please search this up before posting there are a million different posts asking the same thing. Best Applications for UI?

2 Likes

The problem with Krita is it’s not vector, Ui’s need to be vector or they will be really pixelated/blurry. Although Affinity Designer is $50, (not free :frowning:) it is a one-time payment and it works great, and not to mention easy to learn I thought myself in a month!! Here is something I made in Affinity Designer today.

4 Likes

Except for the fact that Roblox doesn’t support Vector images, so you’d have to upload it as a png or jpg regardless, and max image size on Roblox is 1080x1080 pixels; if it’s larger than that, it gets compressed to that size.

7 Likes

I know that but vector images can be exported as any size needed.

1 Like

So can rasterised images as long as you make them with the size you want in mind. Anyways, photoshop isn’t a vector software; it produces raster images, so it wouldn’t be any different than photoshop with end result. Overall, Krita is a solid choice as an alternative to photoshop.

3 Likes

Okay, either way, Krita is not a good software for UI design. It was not designed for that purpose and doesn’t have the essentials for UI design.

2 Likes

Photoshop wasn’t made for UI design either (it was made for image editing and graphics making) but people still use it for that. Please stop this pointless argument.

7 Likes

I’d say inkscape is a good bet as it’s a vector program

3 Likes

I use Paint.net for everything.
It’s easy, it’s fast, it has plugins, it’s programmable, and it’s free. It only works on Windows though.

3 Likes

I’m surprised nobody has suggested Adobe Xd! It is amazing, and has many features that can make UI easier. It is also made for UI so yeah.

2 Likes

People may still use it, but just because people use it doesn’t mean it’s the best. Also, Krita isn’t PS I have used it for drawing, and isn’t anything close to a UI creation application. It was made for painting, and doesn’t have many things hat can aid you in UI creation.

1 Like

I’d suggest using figma. It’s a really good alternative to Adobe XD and almost a competitor for photoshop.

1 Like

I use Inkscape. It’s free, vector based and is easy to learn.

1 Like

Yes, they can if you copy/paste them into another document.

1 Like

Yes. You can export things seperatly. Let me get a screenshot of the export section.
https://gyazo.com/bd5eca06558553c87e98c5d961b08f85

2 Likes

Sad, no one said the alternative of Photoshop. It is a free website that I use photopea.com

photopea is good for stuff https://www.photopea.com/

isnt windows used by like 59% global?