Any gameplay aspects/gimmicks would you like to see in a zombie survival game?

I don’t know if this belongs here, but I’m going to ask anyways in hope of getting some ideas.

I’m developing a game similar to Garry’s Mod Zombie Survival in which you must all collaborate to avoid being infected by other players. I’m planning on making the game fast paced and (obviously) teamwork focused.

But I don’t want it to be just a standard zombie survival game; I’m searching for gameplay ideas! It doesn’t have to be amazing or particularly difficult, but I want my game to be distinct and more enjoyable than many others.

I’ll edit this post if I think of anything else to add.

3 Likes

I’ve never played Garry’s Mod Zombie Survival so not all of my ideas might be for you but I hope you like most of them!

Combos/Counters (Similar to Metroid Dread (watch the final boss fight for the best example of what I’m trying to say) where during certain points you can melee to counter an enemy attack but in your game I would recommend adding different combinations of buttons to do different things and if your timing is off or you push the wrong button it cancels the combo leaving you exposed to take damage unless you can either trigger another combo or dodge fast enough)

Throwing knifes (The player could start with three and could find more in the kitchen and similar rooms or that were previously thrown and pick them up, possibly a max of five though)

Grappling hooks (To grapple walls and ceilings, pretty obvious. Or maybe if something isn’t heavy enough to pull you, it would come to you and you could maybe pick it up and use it as a shield or throw it or do whatever you want with it. Or attach your knife to it and use it to pull a zombie closer and if it’s done right it could activate a combo where you punch off it’s head while it’s flying towards you)

Traps for both players and zombies (Tripwires, explosives, trapdoors, etc. Players and zombies can both set these up for the opposite team to find (or teammates in hard mode suggested below) and take damage/die from)

Hard mode (Includes friendly fire, some extra fast zombies, and zombies that can crawl on the ceiling. Of course it would give more money and xp though)

Stage hazards (Different stages can have different stage hazards, for example one might have a ceiling that caves in on a building while another could have cars driving on the highway)

6 Likes