Any good Scripting tutorials?

Can anyone suggest any updated scripting tutorials on YouTube?

18 Likes

I would recommend the wiki mainly, but I think for basic things or so AlvinBlox would be a good youtube channel, I would also maybe recommend Roblox’s scripting series it is 2 years old but is decent. For more advanced tutorials such as metatables and filtering enabled I would recommend Wrathsong. He has a tutorial on filtering enabled and more in his playlist section. For metatables I would recommend the wiki since there are not many on youtube but I found a decent one.

7 Likes

I actually don’t have a tutorial on metatables but yeah I’ve gotten some good feedback on my channel. Thank you!

1 Like

if you are starting out programming, i recommend going through a website such as code-academy before moving onto roblox development.

before you yell at me, the reason i say this is because going through these automated learning websites gives you a structure for learning. most youtube videos will tell you what to type, and (maybe) some very minimal explanation on why and what does what. some of these tutorials sometimes even tell you incorrect things that may even harm you from learning!

if you are already experienced enough in programming, and you only need to really learn syntax and the roblox api, then the wiki and the lua manual is your best bet

5 Likes

Oh I thought I saw one on metatables. :stuck_out_tongue:

I like to think the tutorials I made were different from ones you described - that’s what I strived for at least. Hence why I usually taught concepts rather than how to make X specific thing :slight_smile:

Youtube Playlists

CodeTheorem
Roblox’s Official Playlist

Articles & Portals
Programming in Lua (PiL), Edition 1 - You’ll need a basic understanding of programming in general if you want to absorb this well.
Roblox Wiki Scripting Portal

EgoMoose’s Articles are also very useful.

Avoid AlvinBloxx, he rarely explains his code and often uses bad practices. (No offence)

14 Likes

:sob:

I do try to explain everything wherever I can! I always try my best to make sure I explain concepts and what certain parts of the code mean or what lines do what. I try to keep the videos short however, as I get lots of comments from people who don’t like long videos, so it’s a hard balance.

I also like to keep things simple for those who are completely brand new else they won’t understand. If that means making the code messier, slightly less efficient or longer then so be it because at least they’ll understand.

Anyway, I’m not forcing people to watch my videos. Everyone has their own opinion on things. Lots of people like mine and I have a bunch of people who say they’ve really helped them learn to script. The other places mentioned in this article are great; I started from using the Wiki and other videos. My recommendations are @DutchDeveloper for advanced things and little projects (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl9UPh97PPW0FSz9iyeOH5Q) and the Cookbook (http://wiki.roblox.com/index.php?title=Cookbook). @Eppobot and @SteadyOn are very good not just for scripting but for building also.

7 Likes

Sorry bro

1 Like

Respectable. I like to think of your videos like an updated version of Peaspod which were absolutely amazing in 2013.

2 Likes

well. you maybe get comments from people that dont like long video,s i get comments from people that mess up the script and call the video bad, whilst it’s just working.

1 Like

A little late but better than never right?

This is a Playlist of Lua (NOT RBLXLua) Lessons, I find this really helpful when I don’t understand something completely by reading the Wiki or from other resources.

Lua and RBLX Lua are almost the same, they have different Functions but most of the Syntax is the same.

io.write() = print() for example

4 Likes