Any practical example for using Memory Store Queues?

What is the practical purpose of using Memory Store Queues, since I can do the same with tables?

1 Like

In comparison to a data store, a memory store provides lower latency and higher throughput in exchange for reduced durability. It’s a good option for any data that rapidly changes

You cannot do the same with just tables. A data store’s Update Async is the closest similar function but will be much slower for rapidly updating values.

@gertkeno

• Global leaderboards - Store and update user rankings on a shared leaderboard inside a map with key-value pairs.
  • Skill-based matchmaking queues - Save user information such as skill level in a shared queue among servers, and use lobby servers to run matchmaking periodically.
  • Auction houses - A global marketplace where users from all servers list and bid for available goods. Store marketplace data inside a map as key-value pairs.

They list examples in the link you posted, it’s an optimized function to be used over Update Async for such particular use cases

2 Likes

It is not clear to me how MemoryStore Queues are expected to be used in practice. It seems the example usecase for this is cross server matchmaking. The ways I imagine using it seem like they would have issues when running at scale. If I understand correctly, each lobby would be running autonomously and be competing to process items off a single queue? It would then use messaging service to communicate to other servers about the match?

1 Like