Any scripting project ideas?

Hey there! I was wondering if I could get any beginner project ideas. I’ve tried looking for some but there hasn’t seem to be anything about it. I just want to put what I’ve learned to test. If you can give me some that would be awesome!

—I don’t mean project as in game ideas but just scripting projects to put my skills to test.

Edit: If anyone can give me anymore beginner friendly ideas that would super helpful.

Second Edit: In case you were wondering, I have learned variables, a little bit of scope and returning, functions, parameters, If statements, Elseif and else statements, events, built-in functions, while loops and repeat loops. Keep in mind, I have knowledge on what these do but haven’t really learnt and mastered them all just yet.

7 Likes

Why not script a lab facility or something, so you can have doors opening and closing different ways, lights changing colour, mess with the players gravity in some rooms, litterally anything. Its also very basic stuff.

7 Likes

Thanks. I’m trying to see what I’ve learned and test them out because I haven’t really had the chance to yet. Really appreciate it.

1 Like

Hiwiwi! Im learning too.
Beginner Project ideas? Emm idk :v
What about sharing what topics u did learn? That would help for sharing ideas :3

3 Likes

Oh dang. Didn’t even think of putting that. I’ll do that right now.

1 Like

Try making a small, classic game. Board games and early computer games are great. To name a few:

Snake, Tetris, Checkers, Chess, Go-fish, Poker, Blackjack, UNO

5 Likes

Interesting way to test skills. I may try it out but do you use Gui, or something else to display the game being shown.

For simplicity, it’s probably best to use GUIs for these simple projects. UIGridLayout might be useful for creating grid based games.

4 Likes

Try making a small Minigame I think you will have lots of fun

2 Likes

one of the traditions that i did when i started was Make a fireball that shoots in the direction of your character when you press E

That teaches you server vs. client, User Input, and CFrame, which are all extremely important concepts to know when you start scripting on a larger scale

3 Likes

I made simple things like obbies, then very basic simulator mechanics, then I started getting more complex like tycoon systems.

I also like to make simple games and applications like tic tac toe and a calculator application (these were both ScreenGui based) that aren’t very roblox specific, it’s probably good to practice making very roblox specific stuff like simulators and other very unspecific to roblox stuff like calculator apps.

1 Like

Yeah. I think that would be fun and interesting experience.

I you are not comfortable with scripting from scratch or you get stuck easily you might want to look for some tutorials and follow them step by step.

Pick small assignments and put them in a place in order to build up a portfolio. This way you can look back to your own (old) work or show it to others.

Hmmm. That seems a little too complicated at the moment, although, I think that would be a great idea.

1 Like

Interesting. I think once I get a little more fluent in Roblox Lua, I’ll be able to build up my portfolio with my creations. I’ll try to make things from scratch but I enjoy problem solving and doing things independently.

Yep. I agree with practicing different things, non-roblox and roblox related. I feel like it gets you a little more comfortable with scripting in general. I’ll attempt to make some simulator type scripts but, I’ll try some different projects first before I move on to the simulator aspect of things.

1 Like