Any Tips on Building for an Experienced Blender Artist?

So I am fairly new to Roblox and I am finding it very confusing and harder than any other game engines like Unity or Godot. However, I am determined to make a game on this amazing platform. I am an experienced Blender artist, and I am not very good at building in Roblox.
So, I would like to know from some people out there who are good at building in Studio, how do I do this more efficiently? I find it very different than Blender, but a lot of builders I talked to say that Studio is way more efficient to make buildings. So in the comments, I would like to know these three things:

1. Are there any good plugins that will make it easier to build? If so, which ones?
  2. What are some tips for somebody coming to Studio from Blender? How are they alike?
  3. How similar is Studio to Blender?
1 Like

Lots of amazing plugins:

All of his plugins:

Optional (if you don’t like Roblox standard tools):

For Additional Building Plugins:

Good luck building and I hope you have a great experience on Studio!

2 Likes

Thank you for the amazing reply! However, I was looking for a plugin that would be good for a blender user like me. Is there any plugin that simulates blender and would be more intuitive for me?

There currently isn’t one, but I have seen posts about people working on blender like things. But, you can always make your Blender mesh in blender then import it to Roblox as a mesh.

Yes, I can do that, but I think Roblox Studio is better for buildings.

Well, you’ll learn as you go. But like many game engines and blender, there are shortcuts.

ctrl + 1 is select
ctrl + 2 is move
ctrl + 3 is resize
ctrl + 4 is rotate
ctrl + 5 is transform

ctrl + R rotates it 90 degrees
ctrl + T rotates it 90 degrees on the x axis(or z axis, I’m not sure)

You can look in this article about keyboard shortcuts.

Ctrl+Shift+G Union Fuse parts together to make a single part.
Ctrl+Shift+N Negate Negate parts, useful for making holes.
Ctrl+Shift+U Separate Separate parts from a fused selection.

Those are basically the equivalent of the boolean modifier in blender.

1 Like

this one helps too in some cases.

Thank you for the plugin. Is it better than the others? I am having trouble understanding which plugin would be best for a Blender user.

the best to build is F3X, the most complete and easy to use. build v4 is old but works for some things. (like this)

and other things that dont appear in F3X. i dont use blender so i cant say which is better for a blender user, sorry. more experienced builders can help you.

Okay. Thank you for your reply.

Roblox Studio is for building yes, but Blender is more of detailed work in my opinion…

1 Like

If you’re more familiar with Unity or Godot, you’ll find Studio has the feel of that (albeit a much more simplified version) than it does to Blender. “Building” in Studio is more akin to assembling assets with primitives more than actually editing the geometry.

As an experienced artist in both Blender and Studio, I mix the two as well as I can, but more so lately I create all my assets in Blender and assemble them in Studio. A typical workflow for me is modelling and texturing in Blender and then bringing those modular pieces into Studio, replacing the greybox as I work.

There’s some more info on my workflow in my RDC 2020 talk that you can find here:

And if you have more questions, don’t hesitate to DM me :slight_smile:

4 Likes