Any tips on making light shine through "windows"?

The windows are basically neon parts, I’m making the light shine through with beams, any way to make this more realistic/less bad?

6 Likes

Use parts, set the transperency to like 0.7, make them go from the window to the floor, use a mesh if you have to because like the light beam is expanding in the room.

Heres an old build, Its just a part, use little neon spheres (or preferably particle effects because so many spheres might cause lag) to make it look more realistic that theres dust get illuminated. Set CanCollide off.

3 Likes

Screenshot_8
something like this?

2 Likes

Yeah, make the angle a little different so it looks more natural, right now its rotated in like y axis, give it some x axis rotation too. Use particle effects to make it more realistic.

It is an arched window so you could make a mesh for it but I think it looks alright.

Also when you view it from the side, you will notice that if there are too many windows, the transparency will add up and it will look more and more opaque. Fix to that would be to use glass material, you must know of the glitch where you cant see other glass parts through glass, maybe you can use that to fix it. I havent personally tested this though.

I’m seeing that glass looks a little too dark
Screenshot_9
also, did you make a fading effect on your light beams or did it just blend in with the environment

Oh yeah glass wouldnt work out because it has to be neon, didnt think about that :sweat_smile:.

And yeah now that I check I did fade it a little bit, like 4-5 parts with very little difference

Just experiment with this untill it works out for your build

I still have a problem tho

as you said, combining 2 transparent parts makes it look more opaque, how can I fix that?

To make the fade effect are you placing a new part every time with lesser and lesser transparency?

You are supposed to have one big part going from the window to the ground, duplicate it and make it smaller and smaller towards to window. So that all of them are overlaping in the orignal part.

If you dont understand I could post my build later.

Would something like this work?

I made the outer part the highest transparency out of all 3 parts, the middle one a little more visible and the inside one the most visible

1 Like

Beam parts with really transparent particle texture, but don’t forget, the objects light hits has to blend in, all I did was make another beam on the floor but wider, and make that beam brighter to aid in the texture clipping. I also added a point light at the same spot to help blend it all together.

1 Like

I got okay results with SunRaysEffect and it seemed to be realistic enough for me.

I do recommend whatever Roblox did with their avatar editor place file, where they used parts made of Neon and a high transparency through the light areas.