Any way to "subtract" color from image

Basically what I am doing is making icons for items in my game by putting the item in a ViewportFrame, setting Background Color to white and taking a screenshot. Then I import the image into Photoshop and remove the white background and edit the image as I like.

The problem is when there are items in my game that are semi-transparent. Obviously transparency data doesn’t save in a screenshot.

Example: Here are two bricks with Transparency set to 0.5. You can see they look different against a white and black backdrop because of their transparency. I don’t know if it’s even possible but I want to “subtract” the background from the screenshot. So that if I were to upload the image to Roblox it keeps it’s transparency and looks the same as in the pictures.

I am using Photoshop 2024

Help appreciated thanks.

Couldn’t you just use the ViewportFrame to display the icon

No, because I want to stylize the item and make it nice in Photoshop.

Maybe render it in blender? That will have even better visuals than just taking it from a ViewportFrame. Or if you just want to add effects and maybe coloring to it, just screenshot the viewport frame, make a new layer in Photoshop with the effects, upload that layer to Roblox and just set it as an overlay to the ViewportFrame

Maybe you could manually change the transparency in Photoshop.

I’ve only used it a few times but it seems like you should be able to magic select the part that is supposed to be transparent, and then make it transparent to semi-transparent.