Any way to tell difference between view-model and not for first person?

I was looking at this tool animation tutorial made by @Headstackk

And I was wondering if his game weaponry uses a view-model for first person or just uses a simple tool with very good animations to make it look like a view-model? Is there any way to tell if games use a view-model as opposed to using a tool with really good animations?

Any help appreciated!

I think it’s probably viewmodel because its easier to work with and I would say it’s more professional. If you are making a game, I would recommend the viewmodel approach because it is less confusing. Not saying using tools is bad but with a customized game like weaponry, you would have to do a lot more work trying to fix the issues that tools bring. An example is if you would like a custom inventory ui, you would just have to create it with viewmodel but with tool you would have to first disable the CoreGui inventory and then make it or you would have to edit the CoreGui.

I just looked at the topic that I skipped over and he is using viewmodel.

It doesn’t have to be specially a tool, could be any other way besides using a view model.

I think those two are most used, view model and having the arms visible when zoomed in and relying on animations with the tool. Can’t really think of other ways right now. But a key difference is that usually, if it’s the character’s own arms being animated, it’s gonna get replicated to the server so if you notice your character having complex animations while in first person. Just picture how that would look if you’re looking at yourself in third person. Could look unnatural. That’s why some developers use viewmodels so they could have all of these convoluted animations played and still have the third first person look just as natural as they should be.

1 Like