Anyone know how this shirt design was made?

I am really interested in this style of shirt, how was it made?
Anything helps.

3 Likes

Are you looking for the template? Thats a standard shirt template. Or perhaps you are interested in the artistic folds?

By the looks of it, it looks like Shedletsky used the good ol’ copy and paste method. Basically, you search up a picture of a piece of clothing you want to make then you copy and paste it onto the template.

This was heavily used during the OG days of Roblox, so it makes sense because it was uploaded in 2008. Actually, the biggest time period I saw this be a thing in was around 2016. Lots of “ODers” used to wear similar types of clothing to this.

This outfit for example uses the copy and paste method:

The copy and paste method is still used today by popular creators, though. A lot of jeans on Roblox use the copy and paste method, especially grunge jeans. Granted, they do throw in their spin on shading but it’s a more modernized approach now.

Personally, I hate the copy and paste method. I can NEVER find what I’m looking for, so I always hand draw my jeans but they mostly end up looking cartoony in the end though. I’m getting better at it, so I still prefer hand drawing my jeans.

I don’t think the copy and paste method would be a style you want for long-term. Most of the time, it restricts clothing designers since you have to find pre-made clothing that fits your desire in real life. My suggestion. is to start learning about shading from various artists and clothing designers and soon after you’ll develop your own shading routine that you enjoy.

2 Likes

I am interested in the folds, yes.

You have to be a good artist to add folds to a flat surface. This one is 2D, and likely a cut and paste, as goober pointed out. That doesn’t stop you from drawing it on yourself.

In blender, you can “bake normals” to create a fake 3D effect of folds on flat surfaces. This was my first attempt. I’m not sure how often I will do this! It was very difficult, and I didn’t do as well as I would have liked.