Append the LightInfluence property to Decal/Texture

Hey all. Just thought I’d suggest this idea. At the moment I’ve had several needs for decals to be unaffected by lighting, which are impossible to achieve with the current available properties.

My #1 example is a custom skybox object using a MeshPart. The MeshPart is a cube with smooth and inverse normals that takes 6 decals, one for each surface. Changing lighting’s properties does not offer enough. The primary use case of this mesh is the ability to change the color of the MeshPart when using some skyboxes as to create a custom hue in images with alpha.

Click to view an image of the default roblox sky within my mesh, which shows unsatisfactory results with lighting.

The sky presented above is affected by lighting normally. Unfortunately, I can not change the ambient settings due to the need for shadows and other lighting in my game. Additionally, I can not use SurfaceGui as they are unaffected by surface normals and do not conform to the surface of a part as a decal would.

13 Likes

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Light options for decals/texture (like GUI’s)