APS mode keeps hanging when Play button is pressed

Describe the bug. Describe what is happening when the bug occurs. Describe what you would normally expect to occur.

With the APS mode enabled, clicking the “Play” button will end up render Studio unusable:

• Buttons won’t respond, neither the shortcuts or the widgets (explorer, properties, plugins, etc.)
  • The game won’t load and you need to bring the Task Manager to shut it down (Studio become unusable but doesn’t really crash or go into Not Responding mode.) as the close button doesn’t work either.
  • After 30 minutes of hanging, Studio did not give true signals of life yet, responding however to some commands with terrible delay (5+ minutes). - t = 0.06667, meaning that no more than 4 frames were rendered in the course of those 30 minutes.

How often does the bug happen (Everytime/sometimes/rarely)? What are the steps that reproduce the bug? Please list them in very high detail. Provide simple example places that exhibit the bug and provide description of what you believe should be the behavior.

Happens everytime, given APS mode is enabled - I am however yet to find anyone with the same issue.

I could reproduce the bug in both complex places and places as simple as one baseplate.

Would a screenshot or video help describe it to someone? If so, post one.

https://gyazo.com/d426b5a4d15a419537a307f4b80addeb.mp4

It is sometimes helpful to know your system specs, especially graphics card.

Motherboard: Asus Z87-K
CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz
RAM: 8GB, DDR3 @ 1866MHz (XMP Profile is enabled)
SATA Drives: 500GB SSD (where Studio is installed), 500GB 5400rpm HDD
GPU: nVidia(r) GeForce™ GTX 1060 3GB (MSI Gaming X)

When did the bug start happening? If we can tie it to a specific release that helps us figure out what we broke.

Since the feature’s release.

Anything else that you would want to know about the bug if it were your job to find and fix it?

VV This is the Task Manager window of Studio running on APS (after Play is clicked) VV

VV Task Manager, Studio in non-APS Play mode VV

APS mode is taking slightly more memory (but not substancially more), and the GPU isn’t “working”. I’m convinced that part of the problem might be in the CPU as the workload is residual/null.

3 Likes

Thanks for the details. Stay tuned.

More questions:
If you have access to a secondary machine, could you see if you can repro it there?

2 Likes

This happens to me too- I had to turn APS off because of this. :frowning:

I am experiencing this same issue, but only whenever I open any sort of plugin which is using the widget system, it seems to occur both with and without APS enabled:

• PC Screen goes black for 1-2 minutes
  • Studio and all Studio related windows go white preventing any further use of that window

Tested with:

• Animation Editor (Always occurs)
  • Collision Group Editor (Always occurs)
  • Terrain Editor (Regularly occurs)

Task Manager resource usage:

Computer Specs (Development PC):

• PC Model: Acer Aspire C22-760
  • Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics 620
  • Windows 10
  • 4gb RAM
  • Intel Core I3-7100U CPU (2.40GHz)

Studio Rendering Settings:

1 Like

Are you still experiencing this issue?

The machine in question was formatted and Windows was reinstalled, I’m unable to create the same setup for reproduction. The issue had gone away for a while (even before the reinstallation), though.