Arcane Odyssey - Mistral Update Patch Notes

The Mistral update for Arcane Odyssey has been released! This post outlines info for the coming updates, and goes over the major additions and fixes in this update. If you want to view all of the smaller changes and bug fixes, they can be found under the Patch Notes section of the game’s Trello board:

Patch notes p1
Patch notes p2

About the Town/Kingdom Alignment Feature

This update was originally meant to have town/kingdom alignment as its major feature alongside Port Mistral, but about 2 weeks into development I decided that it would be better to add this feature way later on, and instead focus on fleshing out existing systems by adding weapon customization and starting spirit weapons. Due to this change in development, this update had a lot less overall than originally planned, so I apologize.

Additions/Changes

• Added Port Mistral, the town in the far southwest of the Nimbus Sea that Empress Nilah sends you to after visiting Sameria

• Raised the max level cap to 140

• Existing files have been given the option to reset their stats as a result of all the new awakening changes listed below. (If you already had a stat reset available on a file, this does not give you another one)

• Added weapon customization

• You can now “Disarm” a weapon by talking to Blacksmith NPCs. This takes all of the weapon’s skills off and places them as “Skill Notes” in your inventory. (This doesn’t cost Galleons)
    • Skill Notes display a description of the skill, its base stat requirement, and what weapon types it can be applied to.
    • To apply a Skill Note to a weapon, the weapon must first have an empty skill slot (by disarming it first), then you click the Skill Note in the inventory. It will show which compatible weapons you own that it can be applied to, then you just select the weapon you want to apply it. If you don’t like your choice, you can always disarm the weapon again and change it around.
    • Due to these changes, weapon skill stat requirements are a bit different. Skills now have their own base requirements, which is added onto the weapon’s Level x 2 to determine the Weapon stat requirement to use the skill. (Or, for Strength Weapons, it will be half this total number since it requires both Strength and Weapons stats)
    • Rare weapon skills such as Crushing Judgement have a higher base stat requirement, to prevent people taking it off of a rare weapon and putting it on a lower tier one to use it with less stats.
    • Some rare weapon skills, such as Rising Tide, can only be put on specific weapons, such as Sunken Sword. This is because these skills rely on a specific property of a weapon to work. (Such as Aethereal Flash relying on the latent Aether Magic powers of the Triasta)
    • Putting a rare skill on a lower tier weapon will make its rarity display as rare, rather than common or uncommon.
    • Some weapon skills have different attributes depending on the weapon they are put on. For example, Sword Draw: Flash Strike can be put on Light Bladed weapons (daggers), making the skill be much smaller and faster than if it were on a regular sword. Likewise, putting it on a Greatsword makes the skill larger but slower.
    • Strength weapons can also have regular weapon skills put on them, but will still require both Strength and Weapons to use.
    • Disarming and adding a skill to a weapon will place your file’s last name in front of the weapon name, a sign that the weapon is more personal to you. (Ex: Creed’s Old Sword) The last name on a weapon is saved through trading, but can be removed if you disarm the weapon again.
  • You can now equip multiple of the same weapon type.

• Added a new animation pack available for 300 Robux: Lazy (all animations by @SelloutJTN)

• Changed the name of the Warden build to Oracle

• This is in preparation for the build to be added over the coming updates. Since the build is no longer just about health, and more about utilizing spirit weapons and spirit energy, naming it after its lore-accurate title feels more fitting. (Since spirit weapon users in-verse are called Oracles)
  • Started working on spirit weapons, the form of combat that will be utilized by Vitality-related builds.

• These are objects such as crystal balls, old books, staffs, amulets, and other old artifacts that were enchanted by the gods thousands of years ago, and were given out to their most devoted followers to allow them to have power over others. Spirit weapons allow the user to control their spirit energy, something that regular humans cannot do.
    • Revamped spirit energy charging and reflex dodge visuals.
    • The first spirit weapon is called the Eagle Patrimony, an eagle pendant necklace that you wake up with on Dawn Island. Currently, it only has 1 rite: Spirit Blast. This is a basic spirit energy rite that allows you to fire a blast of spirit energy at the target, dealing damage. (Rites are the name of spirit weapon skills)
    • More rites and spirit weapons will be added over the coming updates. When there are a decent amount, the Oracle build will be made fully available.
    • Spirit weapons will have 3 “basic” rites each (such as Spirit Blast), and 2 “specific” rites that are exclusive to that spirit weapon. (Such as Astrapikis and Astropos on the Eagle Patrimony)
    • Spirit weapons will be able to have their basic rites swapped between each other, similar to how regular weapon skills can be customized.
    • Spirit weapon rites take a small amount of health to be used, to balance out the fact that Vitality related builds have a much higher health than other builds. (This may be changed soon though, as I feel like it might be unfair still for Vitality builds to have so much higher health)
    • Your spirit energy color is teal/blue by default, a representation of a “good soul”. However, if you chose to kill Lord Elius in the sky (gaining the Ruthless attribute), your spirit energy turns permanently deep purple in color, representing those who are evil at heart.
  • Knight builds (Vitality/Weapons) no longer have weapon aura as their first awakening, and instead can imbue spirit energy into their weapons.

• Imbuing spirit energy gives a slight AOE increase to skills, and negates the Vitality build damage reduction weapon skills have. In exchange, the imbuement causes skills to drain a small amount of health similar to spirit weapon rites.
    • Spirit energy can also be imbued through equipped spirit weapons. For example, if you have the Eagle Patrimony equipped in a weapon slot, you can imbue spirit energy into other weapons through the Eagle Patrimony, giving the same effects as imbuing spirit energy, but with the latent god power of a spirit weapon. The Eagle Patrimony imbue gives the spirit energy imbue a slight teal aura, as well as Lightning Magic synergies on skills. (Only synergies, not affinities)
  • Juggernaut builds (Vitality/Strength) no longer learn a second fighting style with their first awakening, and instead can imbue spirit energy into their fighting style.

• Imbuing spirit energy into fighting styles works the same as above, it negates the Vitality build damage reduction on fighting style techniques, in exchange for them draining a small amount of health similar to spirit weapon rites.
    • Spirit weapons can also be imbued into fighting styles similar to above, giving the affinities and effects of the latent god power of the selected spirit weapon.
    • Players that have existing Juggernaut builds will have their second fighting style reset when this update is released.
  • Paladin builds (Vitality/Magic) no longer gain a second magic as their first awakening, and instead gain the ability to imbue their magic into spirit weapon rites, and the ability imbue their spirit energy into magic spells. “The Power of the Gods” awakening:

• Due to the player’s blood, this specific awakening also causes their spirit energy to change visually due to a reaction caused by the spirit energy mixing with magic energy. (Specifically applies to the player character, will not happen for NPC paladins)
      • Teal/blue spirit energy (the default color) becomes golden
      • Purple spirit energy (obtained by having the Ruthless attribute from killing Lord Elius) becomes red
      • The reasoning for this applying to the player character kind of alluded to already, but a specific explanation would be story spoilers at this time.
      • The only other build that will get this spirit energy color effect in the future will be Savants when they attain their Imbuement Mastery 2nd awakening.
    • Imbuing spirit energy into magic: Gives spells a slight aura color of your spirit energy, and removes the damage reduction from having a vitality related build. In exchange, it causes spells to drain a small amount of health when used.
      • Spirit energy can also be imbued into magic through your current equipped spirit weapons, just like Juggernaut/Knight awakenings, which causes additional synergy interactions to occur depending on the spirit weapon used.
    • Imbuing magic into spirit weapons: Gives the spirit energy rites an aura and some visual effects of the magic used, applies status effects, and affects their affinities similar to imbuing magic into regular weapons. (Ex: imbuing Light Magic into the Eagle Patrimony makes Spirit Blast a lot faster)
  • Added 50+ new findable items:

• Samerian item sets can now be obtained, Keraxe item sets can now be obtained, Chef’s Hat, Spectacles, Iron Chainmail Shirt, Steel Chainmail Shirt, Titanium Chainmail Shirt, Large Cape (37 color variants), Chef’s Jacket, Fisherman’s Hat, Fisherman’s Jacket, Iron Bucket Helmet, Steel Bucket Helmet, Titanium Bucket Helmet, Iron Plumed Helmet (37 color variants), Steel Plumed Helmet (37 color variants), Titanium Plumed Helmet (37 color variants), Iron Gladiator Helmet, Steel Gladiator Helmet, Titanium Gladiator Helmet, Vest (37 color variants by SelloutJTN), Fitted Jacket (37 color variants by SelloutJTN), Trimmed Cape (37 color variants), Victorian Shirt (4 color variants by SelloutJTN), Popped Collar Shirt (37 color variants by SelloutJTN), Dapper Witch Hat (37 color variants), Dual Old Katana, Dual Katana (slightly slower Dual Bladed type weapons with slightly larger attacks), Woven Hood (37 color variants), Checkered Scarf (37 color variants), Shawl (37 color variants), Military Cap (37 color variants)
    • All of these new items were added by @Xxael and @galaga49
    • Samerian and Keraxe item sets were designed by @SelloutJTN
  • The Easter Staff and Easter Figurehead can now be traded. (They were not previously because there was a duping issue related to them that has since been resolved)

• Revamped the visuals of lightning bolts. (Applies to weather, as well as lightning bolts used by lightning magic)

• Dark Sea lightning now also light up the sky behind them better
    • These changes are a start to numerous other VFX improvement ideas I have, which will be added in the next update. (Community voted that they would rather have them in the next update, rather than have them as part of the balance hotfix coming soon)
  • Hairs 61-75 have been given new models and textures.

• 4 new hairstyles have also been added. (New models, textures, and new hairstyles were made by @Dreay_GD9)
  • Deckhands and NPC crew members no longer flop around when you first spawn your ship, and instead are welded in place instantly. (Previously, it had to work like this due to a severe ship flinging issue. Since the ship flinging/voiding issue has been fixed however, this fix was also possible)

• Decreased the chance of finding crafted jewels in treasure chests.

• Changed the Dark Sea compass texture to make it more intuitive. Previously, the purple needle pointed towards the War Seas, while the white pointed deeper into the Dark Sea. Now, the light blue needle points towards the War Seas, while the purple needle points towards the Dark Sea.

• NPCs no longer have weapon aura until they are Level 160 or higher.

• NPCs Level 160 or higher can now imbue magic into their weapon skills, or fighting styles into their weapon skills depending on their build.

• Strength-related builds now have resistance to limb loss.

• Berserker - 80% resistance to losing limbs
    • Warlord, Warlock, Juggernaut - 40% resistance to losing limbs
    • Savant - 20% resistance to losing limbs
    • This only applies to actually losing limbs, and does not add resistance to the “armor break” system. (Armor break is when you were going to lose a limb from an attack, but a piece of your armor falls off instead and protects the limb)
  • Updated the lore and Arcane Chronicles book. Main changes:

• The town where magic was given to humanity was changed from Ian’s Cross to Athens, Greece. (Athens was a huge city in Greece around this time period, and seeing as how the gods are from Greek mythology, this was only fitting)
    • Added a better explanation as to how exactly the gift of magics from the gods works.
    • Added more detail and better wording to the Fall of Mount Olympus parts, as well as better explanations for some things.
    • Durza’s name is now Acheron (the name Durza was taken from the Inheritance Cycle series, and was always going to be changed eventually. He is now named after one of the rivers of the Greek underworld, a title that the people of medieval Europe gave to him since nobody knew his real name)
    • Theos’ hometown name was changed from Oberon to Dunwich. (Oberon was a name taken from the Inheritance Cycle, so it had to be changed. I chose Dunwich because it was a coastal city in Britain around the time period when Acheron and Theos fought, and since Acheron came from eastern Europe, it makes sense)
    • Removed some outdated/inaccurate lore, such as a statement saying that curse users use physical energy instead of magic energy.

Balancing Changes

All balancing changes below were suggested and discussed by the community. This update did not have all of the planned balancing changes included since there was not enough time, however, hotfixes will be released over the next week or so that include the rest of them.

• Attack Speed stat efficiency 50% → 40%
  • Fury of the Sea skill: Attack Size stat and weapon size affinity scaling 100% → 50%, and can no longer clash with other skills
  • Reduced the stats given by some Exotic armor enchantments by 12.5%. (Affected enchantments: Explosive, Enhanced, Brisk, Powerful, Armored, Agile, Healing, Piercing, Resilient)
  • Reduced the stats given by the following Exotic armor enchantments by 6.25%: Hasty, Charged

Next Update + Development Insights

As mentioned above, this update was kind of all over the place due to the alignment feature being scrapped about 2 weeks in, and instead opting to start spirit weapons and add weapon customization. As a result, this update had less content than I would’ve liked, and had I known the alignment feature wasn’t going to be in this update, I probably would have opted to start the clan building/empires update as a part of this one. I am glad to have finally started spirit weapons though, at least, and I think the weapon customization is a really cool idea that fixes some of my personal problems with using weapons in this game.

You can expect the next update to be much more fleshed out than this one was, as I already have a solid idea of what all will be added, as well as having the clan building system fully planned out already. Building on claimed islands was probably my favorite feature from Arcane Adventures (the prequel to this game that broke in 2018), since it added an activity that wasn’t directly related to combat, but at the same time promoted PvP and added some interesting new mechanics to open world PvP, like building on your island to keep people out, or building defensive locations.

My goal for clan building is to make it so that everyone can participate, even if you aren’t super into PvP, and add additional features to it that help with other content, such as being able to farm certain reagents on your claimed islands. You will of course be able to save your builds on each island, with each island having a “personal” save/load slot, as well as a “clan” save/load slot. The clan save slot for each island will only be able to be saved to by your clan leaders, but any member can load and make changes to it, and even save the clan slot to their personal slot if they want. (They just can’t save their changes to the clan slot unless they are a high rank)

(I was gonna post some pics of the old Arcane Adventures building system here but it was so long ago that I can’t find any good ones :sob: )

As for future updates, I want to try to focus more on adding side activities, replayability, and world content, since I feel like those are what the game lacks the most. (which is another reason why Empires/clan building is the next update)

After you max out your ship and character, there isn’t really much else to do or discover, besides 100%ing exploration tasks, and I want to change that. We currently have some interesting ideas that I plan on adding to the Trello and explaining more in-depth, here are a few of them:

• Mini bosses that spawn either in random locations, or sailing out at sea, which drop unique gear and sometimes unique weapons. (We currently already have 1 fully designed and planned. His name is Evander and he will drop a Colossal Greatsword)
  • Mini bosses that drop unique spirit weapons (This will be the main way to obtain new spirit weapons, rather than having them be found randomly in chests)
  • Ghost ships - A feature from Arcane Adventures where ghostly forms of sunken ships spawn at night and sail to the location where they sunk, revealing unique treasures if you dive down and explore the wreck. In this game, I plan to have more variety of ghost ship items, rather than it being 1 unique item per ghost ship type.
  • Legendary ships - Another feature from Arcane Adventures, except this time more fleshed out. In this game, legendary ships will have actual rewards from sinking them, such as new items or ship parts. These are basically “boss ships” that rarely spawn in the world and have to be fought at sea before you board them and fight the boss.
  • More side bosses - Currently, the only side boss in the game is Cernyx, which is kind of underwhelming since he is meant to be fought at Level 80. We currently have plans for at least 4 more side bosses in the Bronze Sea alone.
  • Player Fleets - This one is a pretty huge feature so I won’t type all of it here yet, but basically this would allow you to claim NPC ships to add to your “fleet”, which you can then command to do certain activities for you. For example, you can set them to “Explore”, and they would gather passive items for you. You would be able to make Deckhands be your fleet commanders, and give them orders by meeting them at specific locations in the map. My vision for this feature is it basically becoming a business where you invest galleons into your fleet to get items out of it, and invest more and more galleons to grow a bigger fleet. This feature will also unlock unique ship attachments such as the sky ship tether and diving bell (will reveal more about these and what they will allow you to do in the future)

I hope you guys are as excited as I am for the future of this game, cause I truly believe we are only just getting started in terms of its full potential, not to mention what will happen as the story progresses. See you guys in the next update!

69 Likes