"[ARCHIVED]" Devlog #1

Welcome to “[ARCHIVED]”'s first Devlog, a roleplay game inspired by Neo District RP that takes place in a space station outside of Earth.

I decided to make my first devlog today as I am almost finished with a certain room and also so maybe, JUST MAYBE, I can hold more accountability into the game’s development (and not give up like the other previous projects I’ve attempted to do)

Building (So Far)

I have this hallway which is only reserved for authorized personnel (such as scientists, government officials, and maintenance) that would include multiple rooms, including the courtroom and two hallways, one leading to the science laboratory and the spaceship’s control panel.

Here is the courtroom. I didn’t do a very nice job at planning and measuring the room thus explaining the emptiness or why there’s no seats for the spectators. I also didn’t know how to make it sci fi theme so I stuck with this.

Welcome to Hallway 1L, the most recently developed area. This place has this bridge that leads to the upcoming science laboratory and a whole space under it that serves as a break station and a room that leads to 3 hallways (the door under the door for the science laboratory leads to a stairwell room that connects the room with the lab). I just finished doing the vending machines there as of today. The room in the third screenshot is currently fairly empty and I’m trying to come up with ideas on what to add for tomorrow’s development (yes I have a schedule). I didn’t include this but there’s also a window in the third screenshot room that allows the players to take a look at Earth.

Scripting So Far
Screenshot_20220820_175638
Screenshot_20220820_175719
All I’ve done with the scripting so far is develop a interaction system (you know, the whole “Press E to blah blah blah” type of thing). At the moment, the Door interaction system is the only interactables that is fully completed.

How the script works is that if a player is near a part that serves as a interaction placeholder, the value of CurrentInteractPart is set to that part and CanInteract is enabled (if the InteractType value isn’t one of the valid Interaction Types (so far only Door, Item, and Shop), then a warning is sent in the console). A gui popups to CurrentInteractPart and if the user’s near the interaction part and presses the correct keybind then a function from InteractionVerfication module executes the main function within the module for the interactable (the user is currently near) which fires a RemoteEvent. A server script for that designated interactable picks up that call from the event and does their thing (such as opening the door).

Screenshot_20220820_181100

This is what the game currently has so far, so that’s it!

5 Likes

That has great potential, I can see it in many types of games

It is really nice, good job

Wow thats cool… I’ve never seen a devlog on a roleplay game before either, I will be following the development of your game, very nice!

So what kind of Sci-Fi is this, like distant future, or something more modern?