Are actors active on real roblox servers?

I’ve made a thread a few days ago (Parrallel lua is just as slow as serial lua - #28 by Prototrode) in which I talked about parallel lua being as slow as serial lua.

I’ve came to the conclusion that either parallel lua is not enabled in real servers, or the server microprofiler is broken and its actually parallel but its running on the main thread too so its blocking everything in the game.

This is proof of my suspections that parallel lua is not active in roblox servers:

Roblox servers (clearly serial):

Roblox studio (server test, clearly parallel):

I’ve asked on the Parallel Luau V1 thread if its on for servers, but I’ve gotten no response.

Could @EthicalRobot or @zeuxcg give me a clear response please?

3 Likes

I’ve fully read all the threads about Parallel luau (including comments), and I’ve read This article, which only contains one reference about server side luau, which may also be just a mistake.

I belive that roblox has faulty multi-threading, and switching to unity is the only real fix?

I’m very curious about this too. I haven’t validated this claim myself, but I’ve been looking into working with actors and if it’s true that they currently don’t work on real servers (or maybe real servers only get allocated one core?) this would be hugely disappointing. Have not read any accounts of actors being successfully used in real servers to distribute computation.

The followup question I have is: how many cores do we get with Roblox servers?

Actually, I dug up this piece of information:

Continuing the discussion from Parallel Luau Developer Preview:

The reason why your server test only had one core was because 1. you were playing alone, 2. your game probably didn’t have a high amount of historical CPU usage to warrant more core allocation. Wish this was more transparent e.e

It seems thats not really applied yet, since my game uses 100% CPU constantly, with 5 players in a server, and it only has one core.

Im fed up with roblox so Im switching to unity.