Are attributes client or server side?

Hello, everyone.
Simple questions,
Are attributes client or server side? Let’s say I put an attribute on a part. Are changes to the attribute via scripts affecting client, or do they affect server?

Sincerely,
-coolguyweir

The don’t replicate as far as I am aware. To be clearer… If you add an attribute via a server script. The client wouldn’t see it and vice versa. If the attribute is pre-made then the client will see it but changes made on the client won’t be made on the server.

1 Like

I think you can only create it on the server. and can be accessed from both? Let me give it a try.

Thanks for the explanation! I will look further.

Please give it a try and let me know the results!
Thank you!!

I think they are both able to be accessed from client server. tho you can only change them server sided to see any change on the client.

oh okay. Thanks you for checking!

You can change attributes on the client, but only that specific client will see that change.

2 Likes

oh okay thanks for clarification!

1 Like

If it’s changed on the server, it will change for all the clients too. But if it’s changed on the client, it would only change on that specific clients side - just like how ReplicatedStorage and other things work

Instance Attributes (roblox.com)

6 Likes

Oh gotcha! Thank you for the explanation

So basically let’s say I were to make a countdown clock
I can edit the clock’s time based on the server end
and local players can just update their end every frame to match the server countdown clock

Yea you could do that. word count

gotcha. Thanks again! I appreciate it.

As said: tho you can only change them server sided to see any change on the client.

Specifically targeting the Server not client.

I think its pretty obvious anything changed on the client will be changed for the client only

true, true. That was a good clarification.

If an attribute is created by the server then its existence will replicate to all clients, if that attribute’s value is then changed by a client its change will only replicate to that particular client, if that attribute’s value is changed by the server its change will replicate to all clients.

If an attribute is created by a client then its existence will only replicate to that particular client, if that attribute’s value is then changed by the client which created it then its change will replicate to that particular client, as the attribute was created by a client its existence would not replicate to the server/other clients so its value cannot be changed by the server/those other clients.

This should cover all bases regarding attribute replication, if you need further assistance let me know.

6 Likes