Are Pets Good to Have in a Horror Game?

Hello again :wave: You might remember me from my post about if pets were a good idea for obbies. Today I will be asking if pets would be a good idea for horror games.
Pets wouldn’t be visible to the monster or thing you are running from. Pets would also give some minor perks.
Another reason I think pets would be interesting to have is something to keep players interested in playing.

What do you think: Is having pets in a horror game a good or bad idea?
  • Bad Idea
  • Good Idea

0 voters

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Have an amazing day! :grin:

1 Like

Nah, I’m not really sure… If you want to sell the pets for robux, no. If you want to sell the pets for ingame Coins, It would be a nice idea, but they should not be a cute cat or a dog.

Hope this helped! Have a nice day! :parasol_on_ground:

2 Likes

They would be purchasable with in-game coins. If you want to buy coins for an expensive pet, you can. They also wouldn’t be a dog or cat. If they were to be, they would have a twist, maybe being darker and would fit the game.

2 Likes

Honestly… no. It doesn’t really fit the theme - imagine being in a boss fight in a Horror game, it’s really dark and hard, it’s quite scary; then imagine a cute little puppy being next to you. Doesn’t really fit the theme. I mean, if you could make it more mysterious pets, such as a snake or something, but it still doesn’t feel right.
Of course, if you want to go ahead, except if I was making a horror game, I wouldn’t bother.

4 Likes

Well, they wouldn’t be cute little puppies.

2 Likes

I think pets aren’t a good idea in horror games because they are kinda “Comforting” you, as you don’t want that in a horror game, because they are suppose to give you the chills. Bad idea…

1 Like

Mhm, could you list some of the pets that you would use?

2 Likes

I think the only good pet would be reference pets, like in Among Us. I still don’t think pets are that good of an idea.

2 Likes

Yeah, I agree. As I mean a Horror game being like Adopt Me just doesn’t feel right.

3 Likes

Among us is somewhat horror-ish, and it has pets. You can use the pets to your advantage as a way to showcase how brutally you die lol. I don’t what your aiming for, but it does have its usages.

2 Likes

Hi! I think pets would feel weird in a horror game. I had another idea. What if instead of pets you had these cards you could equip that a player could get a perk form. I.e “Speed” would give the player +5 walk speed etc.

1 Like

If you execute it well, it might work. Don’t make them little cute little puppies. Something you could do is make it another monster you have to endure the fear of. Perhaps make them a little floating television set, covered in static, occasionally flickering a creepy picture or something.

Others I can think of is a marionette, a poltergeist, etc.

1 Like

Not a good idea. Pets within a horror game won’t keep players interesting in playing your game, I would of course try to not incorporate random items that don’t fit the genre. Horror games become more interesting with it’s proper elements in your case try thinking of other ideas and learn what else you could add making players be interesting in playing your game longer.

Pets in a horror game doesn’t really have a purpose you could add other ideas and learn how to add them throughout the gameplay if you know what your doing.

Though that depends on what other ideas you could add to make players be interested in a horror game, make it stand out from others - brainstorm ideas and see what is needed. I wouldn’t be focused on adding pets as it isn’t seen in many types of horror games.

2 Likes

Instead of pets have items more grounded in reality, such as body armours or stamina straining.

1 Like

Pets do have an interest. Ive seen in horror movies that some pets do indeed get killed/possessed or become monsters. This wouldn’t be greatly a good idea because dead pets would add more nightmare fuel and may get your game deleted, what you recommended is what i would do.

1 Like

A horror game is meant to be scary, but pets kind of make the player feel at ease again, which is the opposite of what a horror game should do.