Are players moved using body movers?

Do the core roblox player movement scripts move players using BodyMovers?

I’m making a game which involves a custom gravity system, essentially where the players are in space, rotating around in their ship ,and they need to stay on the bottom of the ship.

In order to do this I’m pretty much replacing large chunks of default player code since the default code constantly tries to “right” itself no matter what I do with camera manipulation and the likes.

All that said, at the most basic level, when a player presses W in a regular roblox game, and they start moving foward, are they being manipulated by body movers? Or is it some other form of manipulation

3 Likes

I found an old thread on Roblox Developer forums

Hope it helps…

1 Like

I appreciate it man.

I unfortunately have already read that post and it only refers to how the :Move() function is called and behaves, but not on the physics behind it.

Humanoid use internal physics to walk, swim, climb and stay standing. You can disable the self righting with PlatformStand when the character is floating, but good luck writing a script that allows you to walk on objects sideways.

Somewhere out there, there’s a really good port of the entire humanoid object to Lua scripts which allows this exact kind of thing. I remember playtesting it a long time ago. Do some searching for test places and you’ll probably find it.

3 Likes

There’s an open-source custom character controller that kind of does what you want to do

Maybe you can find something inside the script?

3 Likes

ROBLOX Humanoid movement currently uses a legacy-physics movement system. The physics implementation for movement is hidden from developers.

1 Like

Hmm.

I’ve fiddled with seemingly every property of the humanoid at this point, but I think PlatformStand is one I missed.

At this point I’ve already began creating a custom character from scratch, but if platformstand prevents self-righting, I might be able to just edit the default humanoid.